1. Beginning of the project… getting the 26 oak boards identical and laid out and glued up. 2. After a few hours of carving and shaping, with the star field cut (to scale of the overall dimensions). Still no glue-up at this time… Used my angle grinder with King Arthur and Arbortech wheels… 3. Used clear stain with dye added… took a few coats to get what I was wanting but it turned out well. 4. Glue up completed nothing left but the field of stars and a fin...
I often scan the freebies on Craig’s List looking for wood. Saturday, Aug. 14, 2010, I spied an American Flag. I responded thinking it deserves to be flown or properly disposed of, not thrown in the garbage. It was only a couple miles from my house, so I drove over to pick it up after the response with an address. It had been her mother’s flag and was in pristine condition. It was either new or had been indoors. It had definitely been displayed; there was thread holding one of the bracke...
I didn’t feel much like going to work today, so I took the day off. I did some odd jobs around the house and managed to carve out some time to work on this project. I looked at all of the rough milled wood, didn’t bend or twist a bit. So I played it safe and ran it all across the jointer, through the planer to final thickness and then ripped it to final width. I made some prototype case pieces out of cherry scraps I had, and worked out the flag case size. I built a jig to cut t...
OK, so I decided to go with the Flag Display case. Shouldn’t take too long, and I really want to protect the flag and memorabilia. I started out with two rough sawn red oak boards that were in pretty bad shape. You can see in the picture that about 1/3 of the boards are splintered pretty bad. I figured that since the parts for this project are pretty small, I could manage to get enough straight grain out of these two boards and save some of the better lumber for other projects. Roug...
Hey all you LumberJocks out there. I am getting to ready to start a new project, which would you prefer to read about? A flag display case and shadow box, or an Arts and Crafts end table. Both will be made from a couple of oak trees a friend of mine had taken down about two years ago. I just moved into a new shop, and in the process of moving all of that lumber, I figured it was finally time to put it to good use. It has air dried is down to around 8%. It has been in my new shop for over a m...
Just in time for Memorial day… I made a display case for my father-in-law that holds an American flag and certificate. The flag and certificate were presented to him by an active Navy Seal serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom. The certificate shows the date the flag was flown over Camp Patton in Fallujah. This was quite an honor for my father-in-law, and the flag and certificate deserved a special case to preserve and protect them. Here’s a link to the video on how the ca...
Okay, I wrestled with this and wrestled with this. I must be resistant to change. I am not sure I know how to use SketchUp any better than I did. I think I have learned a few new words though. LOL. In all seriousness this was fun. Anyway here is the inspiration for my entry: And now for my table. It is simple in design and long on pride. The table is 4’ x 6’ with 36” legs.
Wood magazine sent a link for an Intarsia Flag for The 4 of July. It also has an Canadian version. I’m a member so I don’t know if the link is valid for everyone. But it’s a free membership so you should sign up.
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1191 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1213 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries