About a year ago I moved onto 5 acres full of nice size fir and cedar trees a lot of trees. We cut down about a half acre for garden and chicken space. From the trees we cut down we got 5000 board feet of one inch and two inch fir timbers (mostly 10inch wide by 10 to 20ft long) and a tonne of one inch cedar planking (averaging about 14inches wide). That’s a lot of wood for one lowly carpenter but I think I will manage. Well first things first. Dig a garden and get the chickens out of...
After looking through some other blogs here on LJ and watching some Youtube videos I thought that the tumbling block cutting board was something that looked challenging, cool and something I wanted to try. I learned some good ideas from these other blogs and wanted to share some of my experiences having now made three of these, my setbacks and discoveries to better produce these tumbling block patterns. I purchased a Wixey digital angle gauge as it looked like you really needed to be accu...
This cabinet is made from leftover red oak, Luan, birch plywood and plexiglass that I had in my shop. It is approximately 17”T x 7 1/2”W x 6” deep. I would have liked to make it a little taller to handle a couple more shelves and slightly deeper to have been able to recess the back panel. The Box I first sent the oak through the joiner to ensure I had 1 flat square edge. I then cut the board to the proper widths on my table saw then to final lengths on the Miter...
I made the best of yesterday and surprisingly got a bit accomplished. The five little bunnies are hippity-hopping their way to New Jersey to the offices of Creative Woodworks and Crafts to be photographed for their article. I lovingly packed them and their carrots up and I HOPE they all arrive safely. We shall see . . . I also finished up the transformation of the “Ugly Box Project” that I started over the weekend. I want to emphasize that what is important when doing proje...
What began as a storage solution turned into quite an interesting project. All weekend I was thinking of the phrase “necessity breeds invention” as I worked on the storage box for my new line of paints. On Friday, I received a shipment from DecoArt of their new Chalky Finish paint. This is a totally new line of high-adhesion paint that has a beautiful, soft matte finish that is becoming very popular. Many people are working with flea market finds and pieces of old furniture ...
I have been asked how I line the boxes and drawers in my projects so I thought I would post this here. I don’t have any pictures or videos of how I do this but I can say how I do it and say some lesions I learned by messing up first hand so you don’t have to. trust me nothing is worse then ruining a nice project with a poor lining job! Your experiences may be different then mine and im not a professional by any means but this has worked out for me. Lining can be strange at first s...
I was talking about sanding mops and other things and only referenced that I’d polished things with it. On all these pieces my finishing regime is the same: 1. Sanded to 320 grit. I don’t have anything finer that I care to use on a piece that’s going to be polished, and I’ve found that 320 grit seems to be perfect for getting a smooth finish. (Side note: I’ve polished some unsanded surfaces. It doesn’t smooth them, but it will polish the high spots. )...
Since the motor mandrel with the Beall system takes a 3/8” bolt I’ve made several sanding mops.First was a 320 grit for finish sanding in general. That worked well enough so I made a couple in 220 grit, a thick one and a thin one. This past week I started making a mass production of challenge coin holders and decided I needed to up the game on the sanding mop. I wanted to sand the 2 1/2 inch wide holders in one pass. So I needed a sanding mop at least 3 inches wide. I looked...
I needed better lighting for my varnish application for the “Toy Table” build. The clamp on my old halogen lamp didn’t work very well in many situations. By drilling a hole at the end if a bar clamp, I was able to replace the original clamp with a bar clamp. It worked great. You may notice my Christmas tree in the background of some of the pictures from the “Toy Table” build. It’s decorated with ten 1.5” plasma balls. These are 12V devices int...
I was reading earlier were one our fellow Lumberjocks asked if they would make something to give in a silent auction. I have done this many times. So now I will ask if anyone is in need of a donation, please get ahoad of me and I am able I will send out something to be auctioned off. for the help of someone else. Let me know. Jim Earl
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1405 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 86 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1429 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- shipwright - 185 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 172 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries