Three nice coats of Watco Danish oil applied to each piece, being extra careful not to get any on the parts to be glued. Not quite careful enough, because I did get a little oil on one tenon and slightly into two mortises. Hopefully, I ‘ll be able to clean it up well enough with some denatured alcohol and minimal sanding. Here are the two footboard posts, along with two cross pieces for the headboard. I apply the oil with #0000 steel wool, rubbing it in well, then wipe up th...
My daughter received a pizza paddle for Christmas (not from me). She went online to see how to season it and found suggestions to use tung oil. She called me to question this. She said that the article also stated that it would take about two weeks to get it finally seasoned using tung oil. It also stated the hardening tung oil would also help the pizza slide off the paddle easier. Not having a clue I told her I would submit this the you all (THE EXPERTS IN ALL THINGS WOOD). OK, here...
After a lot of work getting the project ready for a final finish, it’s time to take the plunge. This post introduces readers to several useful applications for shellac, one of the longest-enduring finishes in a furniture maker’s arsenal. Here's the link.
“Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.” Edgar Allan Poe…American Writer, Poet, Editor (1809-1849) In this episode we are installing the decorative wood inlay bandings that we have created in the shop. The inlay bandings are going to be fit, cut, and installed into picture frames that are made from Camala, a Peruvian wood. Since we are doing production work it is important to have a convenient setup and in this i...
This is a bike I’m making for my daughter, it still lacks the finishing touches, like final paint coat, and the lacquer. The seat and the wheels we bought, everything else is water resistant plywood, screws and birch wood. The body of the bike can be flipped up side down to achieve greater seat height. Following more pictures…
I’m now looking at putting in ducting for my new shop. I know it is a bit early considering I may only get occupation by the 1st April 2011.I’m hoping to have the DC and power points fitted prior to moving in the machines.I’ve found a great 10” x 2” plastic section. It also comes in 4” x 2” To me this seems better than using round:It is easy to make junctionsInspection traps would be easierIt takes up very little space So my question to the know...
Sometimes all it takes is just one person to ask a question for me to be inspired. I believe that is why networking and interaction with others who have similar interests is very important. There are many small bits of information that we have learned from our daily woodworking and other related crafts and after years of doing things, we take them for granted. I believe this is true for all of us. In the process of creating, we have performed these steps so many times that they become sec...
My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #193: Getting "Unstuck" by Changing Gears
I really like when I get so involved in doing a project that I can’t wait to get up in the morning to get at it. Today was one of those days. After feeling kind of stuck for a while on what to do for someone special on my list, I finally got the idea on Saturday and since then it has grown like a well cared for seed and looks like it is going to be turning out to be a pretty cool project. I decided to paint a wooden sewing box for a friend of mine who loves to do counted cross stit...
https://s3.amazonaws.com/vs-lumberjocks.com/ldcxy83.jpg https://s3.amazonaws.com/vs-lumberjocks.com/ldcxwt7.jpg1. You will use much less material because the transfer efficiency is higher. 2. Less noxious overspray.3. Better finish with no orange peel. Actually it is glass smooth, and seems almost automatic to get perfect results. 4. If you accidentally run the cup out of finish, it just quietly stops spraying. Compare this to the sputtering mess created by a siphon gun. 5. Two...
Nearly finished Home Theater room, sort of.Oak, with bookmatched panels from 8/4 boards. baseboard and top rail are removeable throughout so wiring adjustments can be made.8 years getting the electronics with 2+ years of woodworking with limited time. Probably 1,000 hours.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1726 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1751 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 205 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries