I had a very full day yesterday, but I did manage to achieve my goal of finishing up the other two versions of the Hare Herb Garden Markers pattern that will be featured in the June issue of Creative Woodworks and Crafts magazine. I am very happy with the results, although it didn’t happen without hitting a couple of stumbling blocks and figuring out the processes that I used. But that is part of why I write her and part of the reason I try to offer accompanying articles when I am te...
I make some benches to be used with our kitchen table.A fun project that is not all that difficult. The benches turned out very sturdy and look great! Please watch and comment. Would love to hear what you all think. Thank you! http://youtu.be/nRKWt6uyClM Chris
robcastle made mention of my blog and did some polishing on his Paper Towel Holder.I mentioned I’ve polished rough sawn material.I couldn’t find any photos, so out to the shop…I grabbed a piece of curly maple left over from a custom cane handle job that had a fairly rough surface. It even had some little shaving hairs sticking out. I spent a total of 4 minutes working part of the surface.In that 4 minutes I:1. Mounted the red polishing wheel.2. Rough polished with the ...
Well it’s been a couple weeks and the bitter cold snap has slowed the progress a bit.. but here’s the progress since we last met. I wrapped up the Toddler Rail joinery… voila! And surface prepped the walnut for finishing with some P220 on an ROS and P320 by hand. I was originally planning on just using my #4 and skipping the sanding (as much as possible) but I chickened out… I brought all the dowels home from Dad’s shop to my cozy (and down right CO...
Two years ago i was introduced to high school wood working. I was formerly familiar with the trade and tools as my great uncle and grandfather were both career woodworkers making fine furniture. Ever since i made my first project the dream has been for a roll top , well its been three courses and 250 hours later , i have been all allowed to begin construction on my desk. This blog will be about building that desk. More for me to track my progress than anything but anyones welcome to come lea...
This is the countertop after application of two coats of Waterlox. The color looks good: dark enough and warm. Waterlox (Original) turned out to be very thin and runny, and after two coats the surface is still patchy and with what feels like a thin film. The pores are still showing. This may be good for penetration into wood and sealing it; will take though more than four coats I planned as a finish at the beginning. Have to wait over 24 hours between coats because of the tem...
Have tried two wood stains from Minwax on a scrap piece of walnut: “special walnut” and “golden oak”. I guess they may differ on other wood species or maybe they age differently, but right now look exactly the same after a week or so on walnut. After trying a few options for edges, I selected a simple 1/8” roundover. Anyway, I routed grooves for a miter bolt on both glue-ups, stained them and will apply Waterlox tomorrow. The stained ...
I’ve decided to finish this in two stages. I still have to figure out the legs/support for the bench but felt there was value in getting a protective coat of finish on the piece. With the redwood being fairly soft, and this piece being so heavy I could already see imperfections being introduced just from moving this around during the sanding process. Also sand; sand everywhere. Given that this spent part of it’s life as driftwood, many of the nooks and crannies are filled wit...
I usually just finish the chess pieces one at a time. I wanted to be able to get a good smooth finish on them like you do on the lathe but still be able to turn another piece without having to wait for them to dry in between coats.This is what I came up with. I drilled a 1/4” hole into 3/4” dowel and inserted a 1/4” dowel to chuck in the drill. I drilled a 3/4” hole in the holder and used a round file to ream it out so there is enough play to let it spin freely. After ...
Picked up some Minwax (water based stain) at my local box store. I’m used to oil based as I have a lot of it. Can’t remember if I did it intentionally LOL! Have used it when I did my refurbishing of my office sofa. That was over a 4 ought steel wool rub down of the sofa frame pieces. Working on my last two furniture pieces I’m refurbishing for the office. Will post the pieces per requests from fellow LJ’s Keeping this topic narrowed to the stain, I’m w...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1368 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1391 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 393 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 228 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 190 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 158 entries