Well, sanded down some of the fingers that were sticking up.. After which, I ran a small combo square and a pencil around Trying to land somewhere besides right on a pin. Plane was to saw the lid part from the box’s bottom. Handsaw would be a bit too rough on things, and get into a bind. Bandsaw? A bit hard to do, and see where I was cutting. Yard sale item might just work… I cut one end first, to get the hang of using this heavy saw. Then cut the long side...
I finally ended up with 6 coats of Arm-R-Seal Poly in semi-gloss, giving it a light sanding after the last 3 coats with a 320 pad. I liked the look, but wanted just a bit more gloss, so I gave it two quick coats of spray lacquer in gloss. Now it’s looks good and the finish is glass smooth mostly. The really nice finish actually highlights some of the small imperfections in the turning, but you have to be looking up close to see them. I tried taking some pics using different lights...
So after working with wood for the past two years and landing a few commissions here and there building dining room tables, I heard that there was a gentleman who went to my church that wanted to meet me. His name is Don and he is 83 years old. Of course, I was extremely intimidated from the get go because he had, I was told, been a furniture maker his entire life. Finally after missing him several weeks in a row, I met him at a dinner function. We got to talking and showing e...
I varnished the pieces individually. I use water based varnish. I like to wipe it on with a rag. It leaves a thin coat. So I give it 3-4 coats until I feel it is covered well. Varnishing first also makes glue clean up easier. I always dry fit just in case there is a burr or other fit problem before I break out the glue. The green tape has marks on it so I get the lower rails all positioned to the same height. I left a little play, (vertically), in the tenons for wiggle room. The upper r...
I thought this was worth a look. The result is surprising..http://www.wimp.com/transformedwood/
Lots of questions come up concerning various “oil” and poly finishing mixtures and methods. Below are links to two articles by Bob Flexner that provide a great deal of information on the subject. The first is from 2008, the second from 2011. http://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/finishing/the_basics_of_wiping_varnish2http://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/finishing/oil-finishes-their-history-and-use The short and sweet version is plain old varnish, poly/alkyd/phenolic (poly...
I’m just getting this blog post started so it already set up, but in the next 6 months I should have everything up and running for me to build wooden boats for people. I’ll be starting out with some strip built kayaks and canoes most likely. In all actuality I have no idea what people are going to want. I plan on just getting the word out and let people come to me so we can sit down and draw up exactly what they want. After I’ve got a good thing going I will start cold moldi...
I’ve got the main box complete (6.25” square) and the front cover on and finished. There are flaws – some tear out in the finger joints that I somehow managed to glue on the outside for all the world to see…. And a small crack on the front). But still I’m pretty happy. I’m not an experience wood worker really. I’ve made more shop jigs than anything really, so I’m feeling pretty good about this. Here’s a few pics. The box finished ...
Fumed a small piece that I built to use for mounting an antique pencil sharpener to the wall in my study. The fuming with household ammonia in a plastic container for 2 days uniformly darkened the oak. Shown with a cut off of the original piece. Now what’s the best / easiest way to get the the reddish brown look of the other pieces in the room. Shown on a table that I’d like to look similar to. I’ve read BLO followed by amber shellac. Is this the correct path or ???...
My dove tail saw handle was in ruff shape. When I first got the saw I thought that I would have to make a new handle. But having nothing to lose, I just glued it together to see if it would work. It worked! Now it was really just a matter of cleaning it up. I started by scraping off the thick layer of grime. Then I sanded it down. I did not want to remove all of the character of the handle I just wanted to clean it up a bit. I gave it a good coating of boiled linseed oil a...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1730 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1755 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 238 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 208 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries