In yesterday’s blog post I forgot to mention that I am building a kayak rack for my truck. This is the second time I have built this rack. The first time was in 2006 when I retired from the Army and couldn’t afford to purchase one so I searched the web for one made of wood. What I found was this great design on what was then known as workbench magazine now known as My Home My Style Magazine. http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/main/wb300-rack01.html Back then I was driving a Ford Ranger an...
Just a quick update on the Christmas Box Build Off contest from A Simple Design of Ocala. In this video I talk about the prizes and categories.
Well, them and PVC. Spraying dye, needed a cage. Getting close to finished. Not much time to type, but pictures are always fun. FYI, this is an explosion proof (USCG rated) marine exhaust fan for purging engine compartments of fuel fumes prior to starting the engine. I operate the booth at a partial vacuum until all the airborn spray has been evacuated, then I stick a box fan against the ground level filter to overpressurize the booth and speed the exchange of air. ...
Hello all. I am in need. A need to fill the void. The void is an empty spot. The empty spot in an area of the shop I haven’t seen in years. There actually is a floor under all that “junk” as the bride would say. (I say golden treasures.) But, what I need now is spiritual help and a set of free plans for a drift boat or dory. I know I can build one, just need the plans. Have looked and downloaded several but cant find ones concerning a Montana style. Those guys craft some s...
Finished up the first set of pen tubes for the Dovetail Pen endevor. Not worthy of a finished pen and now I will need to get a pen disassembly kit to salvage the parts. Oh well, I need one anyway. Problem: Since I don’t currently have a blank drilling jig the center holes were not perfectly inline with the line of the dovetail joint. This leads to pattern allignment issues on the finished pen.Solution: Looks like I will invest in a pen blank drilling jig or make one. (I need on...
So I had to wait another day after re glueing my palm box back together. After I got the clamps and tape off, this is what I was faced with. I don’t like sanding glue. Ok, one step back, now two steps forward. After Re sanding the lid, several times, I have everything attached and working again. There is still a hair line fracture visible after the clean up. The lid is working much better. It even stops halfway back instead of flopping all the way open. I...
It was so much fun gluing the frame of the bench together (!#$%^&* *&^%$#) = need more clamps , I forgot to take pictures.I like how it’s shaping up though.This is after glue-up, before finish:To glue up, I wiped all mating surfaces (including the dowel holes), with acetone. I used TiteBond III; hope it goes well.To finish, I sanded down to 220 grit, wiped clean. I then wiped with acetone, and applied Penofin. I had to take it outside to see how it looks in its future ‘...
I should be able to post pictures of the twin in the next couple of days and then start the drawers (I cut a bunch of rough parts for the drawers yesterday), but I’m starting to think ahead to finishing. I’m concerned about the solid red oak taking the stain differently than the red oak ply. Any advise? 1. I plan on testing it out with a scrap of each first.2. Experience or advise on fillers for porous oak? I haven’t tried fillers before.3. When I stopped by the Rock...
Hey everyone, the contest has been going well and we have had entries from all over being submitted. There is still time to enter the contest and win some great prizes from Rockler Woodworking and Hardware, Laguna Tools, Woodworkers guild of America, A Simple Design of Ocala and the United Federation of Woodworkers. The Contest ends December 3rd, 2012. Here is a look at the contest entries to date.
Juniper Log Table with Stone Inlay Burled Cottonwood Top #2: Workong on stone inlay in the burled top
We finished the base and the pedestal, they have both been sprayed with the finish and now the top has been bolted on to the base. So now we are inalying the malachite Tim is using the dremmel tool and cleaning up and soft spots and natural cracks so we can add the stone All the inlay has been set and is now drying When it is all dry we will sand it down and fill in the gaps with a finer crushed stone, sand again and then spray the top
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1466 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1490 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries