I have been thinking about making something in a more classical style for a while. The decision of what to make was actually an afterthought, im building it mostly for fun and practice, so I was more concerned with style, technique, and joinery, but here’s the criteria I came up with -Incorporate turning ( I enjoy turning, but have never actually turned a set of spindles, legs, or any other kind of matching set)-Mortise and tennon joinery ( I’m in the middle of building a p...
QUESTION: HOW VERSATILE IS A LARGE BLANKET CHEST OR BOX? 15 Century Chest above My opinion…EXTREMELY! Antique Pennsylvania Chest above Here are my thoughts on the simple, large, well built CHEST, dovetailed nicely or fastened with glue and screws. By the way, the items shown here I would not dare call “simple” as the craftsmen have certainly taken time and care and worked hard and meticulously for which I have much respect. 1. The Toy Box2. The Family Blanket ...
Construction and finishing has been completed since my last blog post. For the two drawers, I built boxes out of half-inch baltic birch plywood with quarter-inch baltic birch bottoms. For the plywood backs, I used quarter inch oak plywood which I later stained with dark walnut stain. I would have prefered actual walnut plywood but I don’t know of anywhere within a hundred miles that sells it, and under normal use I don’t think this will be visible anyway, once all the electroni...
Okay finally happy with the sanding of the actual boxes for the speakers and they are now classed as completed to return to the owner for him to do his part. Problem is they don’t look to different from my last blog… but trust me… they are… :-) As the person that I did these for will put the finish coating on, I don’t believe he has decided yet what he is going to do… I thinkk he wants to stain them… haven’t a clue. Final sanding done̷...
Despite a slow down due to cold weather, I have been able to get bits and pieces done, to where I can see the end is in sight for this project. Since my last post, I was able to get the glue scraping done on the top, get the corners rounded, round over the edge and get the whole top sanded down to 220. Even without any finish, this made a lot of difference in the look, and I really like it. Over the course of a few days, I also finished sanding the drawer boxes and the main base of the...
Finishing and finishingI have completed my TV stand and it came out better than I hoped. I learned a lot from this project and can’t wait to make my next piece of interior furniture. FinishingI wish I could say everything went off smoothly but I had a few problems finishing the project. One major problem was splotching, where one area stains dark than another. I also had a hard time learning to fill the wood. I tested about 12-15 different stains and dyes until I came across two of the...
So I finished turning the bud vase, actually I made two, and began to consider how to finish them.I knew the rotten wood is like a sponge.I’ve worked some punky wood, and just like end grain it’s always ready to suck the finish right out of the jar.In regular wood I usually put some 2 pound shellac on and the buff it off with the Beall system.I didn’t want to hit this with the polishing wheel as I was pretty sure it would disintegrate.I’ve been researching different ep...
So this is my first blog post on this site, and first woodworking project since high school (which I graduated in 2008). I quit college to pursue a bigger passion of mine, which was woodworking. I absolutely loved my wood shop classes in high school. And after going through a couple years or college, I decided that web design was not something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Sitting behind a desk and computer screen all day writing out code, fixing problems for websites that never see...
Wednesday proved to be a challenging day for me as I had noticed when I was leaving to take Tom to school that the wind had lifted the shingle (role type) that’s on the porch roof. Mental note to fix it when the wind died down. Well I forgot to do it when I returned home, too caught up in sanding the bed. So I’m in the shop working away when my wife gets home and tells me that it has come completely up. Wow and just when I was about to go from 80 to 150 grit! Afternoon ruined along with a pa...
I’m pretty new to LJ and not much of a woodworker. Not that I don’t love it, I do but I’m still learning so I need help from you guys. I’m heading up a Boy Scout high adventure trip for my son’s troop this summer. I’ve got 24 Scouts going canoing in Quetico for 7 days and as part of the adventure, they’re building their own bent shaft paddles. We pretty much have the building process down and are well on the way of making them, but the finish is...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1190 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1212 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries