I haven’t done one of these in a while. The build was a bit excruciating. Took 6 days, about 10-12 hrs. per day. Started on the Thurs. before Thanksgiving. That was an easy day. I just ran around getting all of the materials together and did some initial layout work and rough cut the plywood sides. These were full height and were too awkward to move around, so I used a straight edge and my new PC 8902 router to get the edges of the plywood ready for the face frames. Once the first side ...
This old washing machine tub was what my father used in our home growing unto store firewood by the fire place. When my father passed away in November of 2012 and upon the settling of his estate I was able to get this item with all of its sentimental value to me for use in my home. To many folks including many in my family this is just an old piece of junk. It indeed could be sold for scrap metal I suppose but I like my fathers idea and I suspect he got this from his parents home in Iowa. I...
Although I was glad to share my overall opinions and enjoyment of my journey north I thought it to be sort of empty of me if I forgot the man on the mountain. In past blog work you may have recalled a short mention of a man named Topper. Topper is Jenns dad and always supplying Jenn after a Thanksgiving or Christmas visit with some great cuts of hunted Venison to bring back for us to enjoy. I had never had the opportunity to actually go and meet him so this was a sure adventure to see j...
My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #43: Sometimes the Lazy Way is More Work Then Anticipated (But We Learn Something)
OK. This is getting scary. Do we only get so many good days in a given time period? Or are we really the masters of our own destiny? I am probably over-reacting, but I just really like when things work out like you want them to. I am kind of hoping that it is because thought and planning went into something that it turns out well. That gives us some sense of control. I would hate to think that it is only by chance. So where were we? Ah, yes. The autumn leaf candle tray. As I was sa...
I am building this for a friend Over Seas. Her name is Ines so that is what this is named also. The ” Lazy Ines ”. It ought to be fun to finish. I do not have a thickness planer so it has been all Hand Planers. Also the edges are being rounded out by hand with a rasp. You really appreciate the work when you have limited tools!!!!
The final assembly consisted of remounting the drawer slides, attaching the drawer front, attaching the top assembly, and installing back panel. In a previous installment of this blog I had installed the drawer slides. I removed them to complete the staining and finishing. After reinstalling the hardware I began the process of mounting the drawer fronts. The drawers are standard 1/2” overlay. The top and botton rails of the face frame are 1” wide and the middle rail...
I found this site while perusing a survival site. There is some good ancient information here. Enjoy! http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/device/devices2.html
Ok we got iced in from a winter storm and that made me some shop time. So let the glue up commence. It is not a very big assembly but I have been working on it for a while.What do you see wrong on the leg assembly. Some moron, namely me, ran my dadoes out of the ends of my rails. Now I will need to figure out a cover up plan.So while the glue dried I had a cutoff of the lid and started playing with some finishes. I used some bright red milk-paint and laid a coat of it about a week ago. Then I...
Was given an old wood clamp with a steel runner the other day was a bit worse for wear, it was being thrown out…but but but it is still functionable. Anyway today I decided to give it a bit of a tidy up, I decided instead of replacing the bits I would just sand them as I found out as well the clamp is over 100 years old. So it would be cool to keep the orginal and with its battle scars and all. Before the sanding and re-oil… All I did was give it a light sand including ...
Howdy, I have a lot more sanding to do and I’m filling the inside. The outside of the structure has been rough sanded and filled. I’m not real happy that I used filler at all but that’s how it goes when you are a rookie. What you might be able to see here is that I used poplar because it is very light weight for a lighting pendant. the outside is actually crosscut. If it comes out as well as I hope it will, I ought to get a nice look out of it. The insides are goin...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1782 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Toy costruction - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1807 entries
- dbhost - 432 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 307 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 235 entries
- Dave Rutan - 228 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries