Two days after I took it out of the “gas chamber” the swelling due to moisture had gone down enough that I could remove the lid. I was a little surprised that the interior had darkened as much as the outside, but I guess I shouldn’t have been. The lid was certainly not airtight. What did surprise me was that I had put a coat of Danish oil on the inside prior to assembly, and the ammonia had darkened the wood right through this small amount of finish. It just shows ho...
Its time to get back to work. Need to get some items ready for the holiday season. I just started carving more signs and have several formats to offer. Also working on some Xmas ornaments and jewelry boxes. I will post pictures of the items that have been ordered at this time as they are finished. I you have anything you would like worked on please send me a message.
This is the box after two more days exposure, for six days total. It isn’t much darker than it was after four days, so I’m going to call the experiment over. I’d like for it to be a bit darker, but at least I got the contrast I wanted with the basswood lid and pins. Even the basswood took on a bit warmer shade. This is why I put the lid in to fume with the sides. I thought that the pins might darken, and I wanted them to match the lid. Here is the box before fuming:One...
The box hasn’t darkened appreciably over the past two days, so I put in fresh ammonia in a slightly bigger saucer to give it more surface area. Here’s a funny thing. It felt like the box was damp to the touch. The lid just lies in a rabbet in the sides, and the wood had swollen so much that it was jammed in tight! It really has been picking up moisture. I don’t know if this is due to the fuming reaction, or if it is just a consequence of having the box suspended ove...
Prestige design: CHECK OUT OUR FACEBOOK AND SHOW SOME Support… www.facebook.com/prestigedesign I always get a question before someone puts an order in “Can you really design what is in my mind?” My answer is YES. Then i prove it….I ask them key questions to help me understand what they want. Am i always right….NObut if i am not correct on what they want, they change their mind to the design i made The next question before i build it “how did ...
I have some small boxes with oak sides that I made, and I wanted to fume them to contrast with the basswood lids and pins. I placed a box over a saucer with some regular household ammonia. I keep a cake container over the setup to contain the fumes.The box before fuming.Here is the setup and the box after one day. Here it is after 48 hours. I’ll keep going until it reaches the desired shade.
Woodworking Supplies and Resources near Osan AB, ROK I’m putting this post together for any other military or DOD woodworkers that end up getting stationed out here at Osan AB in South Korea so they have some idea of what’s out there (and not) for them.First, there is NO woodshop on Osan. The closest locations are Yongsan (1.5hr drive) and Kunsan (3.0hr+ drive). They are shutting down Yongsan and will be eventually moving the woodworking shop to Camp Humphreys, but the timeline right now i...
I complete the three legged stool. In this episode I glue up the seat and eventually the rest of the stool. I shape the legs, install the wedges in the mortise and tenons, sand and finish the stool. Thanks for the support and kind comments! This was a fun project and satisfying to have completed it. Best RegardsChris http://youtu.be/jhUJkumaA18
Here in Nova Scotia, we had what turned out to be a fabulous weekend. While Saturday was a bit foggy and rainy, it was the perfect day to stay in and draw. I had fun 'playing' with my new tablet that I showed in the previous entry, and the more I worked it it, the more I fell in love with it. It really makes drawing and being on the computer a pleasure. (As if I NEED anything to entice me to be on the computer longer!) The results of my day of work was pretty impressive. At least...
After what you saw last time I got busy with the cabinet scrapers. I used three, primarily. The most useful was a very flexible straight one to get into the chair seat and flex around the leg curves. I had to use a french curve scraper on some of the seat curves. And a medium flex straight scraper was pretty handy too. I sharpened them all at the beginning and resharpened the flexible one once. I spent 9 hours scraping. Then I started sanding: 180, 240, 320, 400, 600 grits. ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1407 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 86 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1431 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 230 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 195 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- shipwright - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 174 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries