I’ve put the finish on the train bed. It is just the base color. The rest will be a vinyl similar to what the car wraps are made from. On the base I used a black lacquer undercoater and a flat black lacquer. I’ll do a little bit of assembly on it before it goes to the graphic people. Here are some pictures after the finish: For more building pictures see my Current Projects link at wwbeds.com or poggyskids.com. Watch us build this or see what we are doing live:
A small conference table - the build #8: Finish the underside of the top, and get walnut ready for the legs
From my blog - Friday's work: After applying four layers of the Target Coatings’ EM2000wvx topcoat to the underside of the table, it feels like it might be done. However, before turning over the top, to complete the finish on the top side, I will check it again tomorrow morning (Saturday), and decide then. Today I sanded lightly but thoroughly between each application of the topcoat. It paid off, as the fourth and final application today resulted in a wonderfully smooth surface. In the ...
There’s an old Vaudeville line that goes something like this: A man is not complete until he is married. Then, he’s finished. I remember chuckling when I first heard that, and the hurt look on my wife’s face when I told her for the first time. That one took a lot of flowers and a homemade dinner to make up for. For years, when I first started woodworking, I had a similar expression I used to tell everyone: Finishing is the easiest way to ruin a perfectly good woodwo...
From all the feedback I got on my end grain finishing problem, Kaleo had the biggest word (oxidization) so I think he’s right. :^) However, I couldn’t bring myself to apply his solution, which was to sand the box down and then to put a finer grit on the end grain. Actually, my wife instantly vetoed any solution which involved removing the finish I already had on it. She loves the box, and isn’t concerned about the flaws. But I had to do something. So here’s what I d...
From my latest blog entry, First, my thanks to all who read my earlier entry, and sent me e-mail requesting a follow-up. Here is that follow-up, from my blog:==================================== In this episode I answer a question from Michael, on WoodNet: Is there a difference in suntanning before or after applying the Waterlox? I noticed that you only applied one coat on 1/2 of the board but never showed the end result of the suntan. And my reply was: I currently have the tes...
Okay, so I’m just about done. I’ve put the “last coat” on, and buffed it out with 00000 steel wool. Not too sure if I like it as is, or if I’ll add one more coat. It’s easy enough to do, so it’s no big deal. But there’s one thing I’m unhappy about, and that’s the exposed end grain on the pins and tails. The end grain looks all dried out and kinda nasty. Check it out (click to enlarge): I’m not sure how it got this way...
Well, after my last post I decided to back up a step. I sanded down a bit with 360 grit, and then without thinking I wiped the whole thing down with mineral spirits to make sure the sawdust was all gone. About halfway through doing that, I realized that I was also stripping off whatever finish I had already had on the box (or at least much of it)! Hah. Oh well, could be worse, right? So I went with Marc recommendation to use a straight wiping varnish with a 50/50 mixture of varnish (I boug...
So I’m working on finishing my wife’s Mothers Day box. I went with Marc’s varnish/oil/mineral spirits blend (1 part each), but as I was applying the first coat I saw that there was something all solidified in my mixture, and it wouldn’t blend with the rest. I went ahead and finished the coat and emailed Marc for his take. He thought that maybe the varnish had already cured, so I went and bought some new varnish. No problems on this batch. So after applying a second ...
Shellacin’I cleaned up 90% shop dust by vac and broom and then run the overhead air filter for a bit before finishing. I protected the workbench with plastic. The panels are raised up on scrap sticks. You can see a bottle of Transtint (Dark mission brown) in the foreground. I add denatured alcohol to a container and then add the shellac to the consistency of a 1lb or so cut. Very thin. I am padding on the shellac with a clean t-shirt scrap wrapped around another scrap. I also ...
I had a little more handwork to do on the Little Journey’s Bookstand. I fiddled with the tusks a bit. I originally sanded the piece to 400 but decided to sand to 220 this time. The loose tenons/tusks took forever to sand and detail. Fuming Time I have always wanted to try this. Two years ago I had a student whose dad owned a blueprint shop. He gave me a large bottle of super strength ammonia. I had bought an ammonia respirator in preparation for the job. I build a simple te...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1386 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1409 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 193 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- stefang - 164 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries