I got it built and ready for the finish. The customer requested that we do a two tone color. They really want it exactly like the saw on our web site (see example). I tweaked the colors a little bit but for the most part it is standard Minwax colors (see color chart). I used Red Chestnut and Golden Pecan. When using stain you can not tape off. There is not way to get a crisp line. You’ll always have some bleeding. I just had to stain parts as separate pieces and assemble them ...
I am in no way connected to Minwax. As a professional woodworker, I view their retail product line as not quite professional level, but quality nonetheless. I also allow that any retail product has the potential to be an effective coating to have around. I build vertical electric basses whose bodies are, generally, cherry and alder, and are about fourteen inches wide and thirty six inches long and two inches thick. The edges have a two grooves cut with a vee-groove/flush trim bit (an ho...
2/2/12 – Groundhog Day I really don’t like finishing. It seems every time I have a project glued up and ready for final finishing, I blow it with the stain and/or top coat. THIS TIME IS DIFFERENT(so far) First I added 6 coats of Transtint dye. (Left door) I’m a first-time dye-er so I used regular water as my solvent. I suppose I could have made a stronger dye mix and saved on the number of coats. Live and learn. The right door has one additional coat of Oly...
Hi all, Here is part three, finishing with shellac. I just wanted to show a beautiful finish which is really easy to apply. Hope you all enjoy. Paul
When I started working with bladed tools (chisels/planes/etc) I wanted a sharpening system that was on the cheap, small and storable and versatile. I chose to start with the scary sharp, and used sand papers from 100grit (rough shaping and cleaning nicked blades) to 2500 for final honing and green compound for touch ups. I added the Veritas MK-II honing guide and was using it for reshaping/resestting blades and honing them through the grits. While this method worked for the time I wanted s...
for more pics check out my blog here! My client, Jeffrey, and I imagined, designed and built the first point of purchase (pop) product display unit for tünr last summer. Tünr was the imagination of my brother Jeffrey coming to life as he dreamed, planned, proposed, organized and made crucial decisions. He had this idea; “Fine Tune Your Feet”. This is what he called tünr the sock and lace company that is now launched on the Internet and in street boutiques across the country. He approach...
After realigning the drawers by fixing the slides, and trimming some drawers, I made sure everything fits. I predrilled 3 holes in the drawer fronts through the pull slots that will later be covered, one in the center, and 1 on each side: I transferred the center hole from the drawer front to the drawer and once alignment was satisfactory I transfered the other 2 holes as well: I used my combination square ruler to space the fronts from each other, and made sure that all the dra...
I have been doing a little research into a bowl finish that will handle boiling water. I e-mailed General Finish and here’s the exchange: Me: Is General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish, when cured, safe to use for applications that come in contact with boiling water? GF: ... a better product would be our new water base wood turners finish, it is water base and has no odor- so you would not have to wait a month to use it. I would still wait a good two weeks for the product to cure befo...
I was holding off on the last (lower and larger) drawers due to lack of material which in essence was a good thing as It made me rethink those drawer dimensions and ended up with what I believe is a better build, but more about that later. What was the issue? The lower 3 drawers are the largest/tallest at 6”, 5”, and 5”, but I only had enough materials for 3 ~2.5” tall drawers + some additional material but not enough to glue material together to give me 6”...
This project is half finished – Literally I mean. I figured since I’ll be working on the drawers, and the toolcart is in the basement it’ll get dirty, and oily finger marks might penetrate the wood and no sanding in the world will take those out, so I decided to finish the cabinet and protect it from the ‘elements’ around…. and boy did I get struck out by one of those elements… but more about that later. And so I gave the cabinet a good sanding wit...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1541 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1566 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 268 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 170 entries