Continued testing finishes for curly cherry started with varnishes and shellacs. Having read much about how tung oil brings out chatoyance, I applied for comparison one coat each: (a) 2 lbs. cut ruby shellac, (b) pure tung oil from Woodcraft, and ( c) Bulls Eye seal coat from Zinsser. The shellacs gave good chatoyance without much blotching. The oil initially gave quite a depth, chatoyance and color, more than the shellacs. However, some spots became quite dark, so the sample (b) a...
The goal is to get a finish similar to this from groovyman6. Sample boads are rift sawn white oak, first dyed with Transtint Brown Mahogany, either at 1 to 32 dilution (two thinner bands) or at 1 to 15 (three thicker bands): (photo taken in the shade) After the dye dried, I lightly sanded the darker bands with either grit 600 (the top one) or 220 (the bottom one), then applied Minwax Tung Oil Finish per instructions and then, next day, one board was stained with Minwax Mahogany Gel S...
Spring has finally arrived here in Nova Scotia! After the long, harsh winter, even me – one who loves winter – was ready for a change. The days are getting longer and the air is warmer and the last remnants of snow piles are slowly disappearing. I often find that the change of season encourages me to do some work around the house. Even though I was in the midst of my Haunted Carousel project, as well as several other things that I have on the go, on Saturday I opened up and l...
This chest is my father’s and he asked if I would restore it for him and fix most of the damage. I first started by researching the chest. I knew by stripping the chest I would most likely loose the images either with a chemical stripper to replace/repair the finish or by sanding. I wanted to see if the manufacturer still existed and could be contacted for information or help during this process. Turns out Cass Toy Company is no longer in business and was destroyed in a fire i...
What can you do with DVD/CD containers when they are empty? One thing I found to do with them is use them to stain and finish finials without getting stain and finish on my hands. First, I need a way to mount the finials on the ‘spindle’. I found that the spindles have a 7/16 inch inside diameter and the finials I turned had a 7/16 inch turned dowel on them. Coincidence… not planned, I assure you. So with that, I found some scraps of MDF and I mean scrapes. I drilled a 7/16 inch ...
We have been thinking about replacing the old entrance door. The door is really old and painted white. Besides, the door jambs, the threshold and sidelight show signs of wear and moisture damage; they are a bit out of square, the joints have become a bit loose too. This old door is sturdy and heavy and we want to replace it with something similar, that is, a stave core laminated door to withstand the sun, wind and water. While I learn how to build new door jambs, threshold, sidelight, a...
This was a fun experimental project. I attempted to use a clothing dye as a stain to see what different colors I could create while still being able to see the grain pattern. I also laminated plywood pieces together to see what effect could be made with the different layers being visible. Check out the video to see the end results!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWm-ci1PMZg&list=UUERIGfN6ATn5-U2DGhDzOvw Watch as I apply my oil/poly finish to a sculpted rocking chair built from Canadian Black Walnut highlighted on the back supports with Black and White Ebony.
Ok, ready for cutting the top off this box. Fingers crossed… The maple sides have some figure in them, so I have been looking for a finish to maximize the shift in luster depending on the angle of view, a.k.a. 3D effect, a.k.a. chatoyancy. Just wanted to share my findings from the internet here… It turned out that maximizing chatoyancy and making the figure more visible are two different things achieved by different means. I guess, the former is sometimes also cal...
I had been saving a nice Honduran rosewood cut-off for a while before the last weekend. I wanted to make a marking gauge and thought rosewood was a good wood for it: dense and oily. A few gauges seen at LJ and in several ww magazines were an inspiration. The planned dimensions: fence—2-7/8” × 4-1/2” × 7/8”, beam—3/4” × 1” × 9-1/2”. Cut the beam and fence parts; got a 1/8” × 1” brass bar for wear strips from a recycled construc...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1823 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Shop stuff - 81 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1848 entries
- dbhost - 450 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 273 entries
- William - 258 entries
- robscastle - 256 entries
- shipwright - 255 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 227 entries
- bandit571 - 224 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries