Lots of questions come up concerning various “oil” and poly finishing mixtures and methods. Below are links to two articles by Bob Flexner that provide a great deal of information on the subject. The first is from 2008, the second from 2011. http://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/finishing/the_basics_of_wiping_varnish2http://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/finishing/oil-finishes-their-history-and-use The short and sweet version is plain old varnish, poly/alkyd/phenolic (poly...
Thanks to everyone for sticking with me to the end. In this video I cover all the little things that have to happen before I can finish, as well as the finishing process itself. The bench turned out better than expected and my customer was elated. As always, keep the conversation going below. Thanks for watching! View on YouTube Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thomaslightleFacebook: https://www.facebook.com/redbarnwoodworking/Twitter: https://twitter.com/tnlightleWebsite: http://w...
If this project was for myself I would probably still use Shellac for its finish, clear but not amber. I would follow the suggestions I have received here to rub on the Shellac. I would not attempt to brush it again on this project. What I have learned is that applying Shellac takes a very trained and experienced hand, for a brushed on finish for sure. Watching Chuck Bender brush on Shellac makes it look too easy. There are years of experience in his badger hair brush strokes, For this ...
I placed my first finish coat; Zinsser’s dewaxed sanding sealer. I wiped that on all surfaces; aka per Charles Neil’s recommendation; meaning all surfaces like including the inside the case and on the case bottom. I put my used rags into a lidded container of water outdoors. I do not need a fire over keeping a used rag… I will brush on amber Shellac next. It should warm up this chest some. I think. The Chest’s Case and Plinth The Chest’s Lid This ...
Hi All; This week I was very busy so I didn’t have time for a more traditional project video. I did want to try a new finishing technique I had come across called Hydro-Painting. It involves spray paint and a bucket of water. The resulting box is from one of my first attempts. Take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks, Mike View on YouTube
My first big build, and what a journey it's been. Yet another workbench. #4: Fitting the vises and finishing up
After a lot of planing and a lot of sanding I arrived at the above, and was ready to fit the vises. (By the way, the white spots are filler used to seal and fill som nasty planing marks where the grain switched direction… Next time I’m buying better wood.) I wanted a leg vise, but wasn’t decided on whether I was going to go with a standard parallel guide with a pin or if I wanted to try a pinless design. I haven’t used a lot of benches but the pin just didn’t...
Continued testing finishes for curly cherry started with varnishes and shellacs. Having read much about how tung oil brings out chatoyance, I applied for comparison one coat each: (a) 2 lbs. cut ruby shellac, (b) pure tung oil from Woodcraft, and ( c) Bulls Eye seal coat from Zinsser. The shellacs gave good chatoyance without much blotching. The oil initially gave quite a depth, chatoyance and color, more than the shellacs. However, some spots became quite dark, so the sample (b) a...
The goal is to get a finish similar to this from groovyman6. Sample boads are rift sawn white oak, first dyed with Transtint Brown Mahogany, either at 1 to 32 dilution (two thinner bands) or at 1 to 15 (three thicker bands): (photo taken in the shade) After the dye dried, I lightly sanded the darker bands with either grit 600 (the top one) or 220 (the bottom one), then applied Minwax Tung Oil Finish per instructions and then, next day, one board was stained with Minwax Mahogany Gel S...
Spring has finally arrived here in Nova Scotia! After the long, harsh winter, even me – one who loves winter – was ready for a change. The days are getting longer and the air is warmer and the last remnants of snow piles are slowly disappearing. I often find that the change of season encourages me to do some work around the house. Even though I was in the midst of my Haunted Carousel project, as well as several other things that I have on the go, on Saturday I opened up and l...
This chest is my father’s and he asked if I would restore it for him and fix most of the damage. I first started by researching the chest. I knew by stripping the chest I would most likely loose the images either with a chemical stripper to replace/repair the finish or by sanding. I wanted to see if the manufacturer still existed and could be contacted for information or help during this process. Turns out Cass Toy Company is no longer in business and was destroyed in a fire i...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries