Sorry for the False Start Guys… I had the privacy setting turned on when I posted to YouTube. (D’oh!) It’s Finally Here! Whew! It takes a lot of work to shoot a video, edit, and get it posted to the internet. I am still struggling with posting to the internet. My HD file sizes are too big to be accepted by BlipTv and YouTube, and once I get the size down to an acceptable limit, they lose quite a bit of quality. This is a bit frustrating and makes me sad to see al...
I thought “What if I coated the whole ring in cyanoacrylate finish?” ...and I tried it. The rings have since been through regular everyday wear including dishwashings, handwashings and showers. END RESULT: This finish is holding up better than both Waterlox and Arm-R-Seal. And, in my opinion, it actually looks better. CAVEATS: Obviously, this would be difficult to do on anything but very small woodworking projects. It’s just right for these wooden rings, but ...
Hard to believe, I know. It’s been over a year since I announced the workbench complete, although there was always that missing part, that loose end that had to be tied off in order to officially declare it a complete project. Not only was it a loose end (literally, the vise screw was hanging loose in it’s slot), but it was a missing integral part of the bench that I kept on wishing I had setup and functional. The Wagon Vise to hold down boards for planing flat and similar work...
I’ve had a couple of questions as to what I use for finish on my pens. So, I thought I’d post a small process flow. I didn’t do the drilling process because the batteries died, so this is the lathe process. I’ve purchased a couple of new lathe pen making tools, and I got a new Lathe chisel for my birthday. So this is the first time on this lathe. And the first time with these tools, but I’ve used the finish before. I got a new Carbide Lathe tool. I saw t...
I am pretty much done with the construction of the box itself. I had left the pins extra long and needed to trim them off, which is better then leaving them extra short and um… oh shoot. After some trimming and cleaning up the joints today I drilled and installed the hinges for the doors. I used SOSS model 100 hinges, 2 on each door which is good for material 1/2” thickness. I like those hinges, easy to install, fit well, and completely hidden for a nice clean look. You’l...
I mentioned it in the previous post and as I was working on the drawers I had the main carcass take the finish to make use of time. Mahogany much like Oak has large open pores. My finishing goal was more for practice than necessity, but I was aiming for an antique polished look – shiny outside. I knew I would have to fill in those pores if I want an even polished surface. So my plan was to start with a filler coat which I tried to concoct using dewaxed shellac and mahogany sanding sa...
One of the most mysterious things about Danish modern furniture to me when I started making it was this strange soap finish that is talked about so often. I wondered, “What is this all about”? Well, the easy answer is that it is a soap that is simple washed onto the wood surface. You may wonder how that protects the surface, though. Basically, soaps traditionally where made of oils of some sort or another. Your grandma or great grandma would have used “ivory” soap f...
After getting everything set up, the next step was put the finish on! I really like this step, each coat increases the gloss, depth and color. I use a two finish process, both parts are from General Finishes. The first finish is their oil based coat. I wipe the finish on with a piece of cheesecloth. The first coat basically soaks into the wood. Areas where the grain is very tight, even the first coat shows a little gloss. I add more coats until the wood shows a uniform gloss....
Why Some "Pine" May Not Be The Right Wood For Some Outdoor Furniture In Some Areas, Some of the Time
I have a great friend that is learning to do woodworking. He has been working hard at it the past 5 years, or so, and building some adult Adirondack Chairs was his first entry into making his own project. I suggested a curved seat, and a curved back for comfort (I had spent about 18 months perfecting my own Adirondack chair design, before I gave up), but he wanted to make them simpler. He found a plan on the internet, and went to work. They started out as gifts, and then he decided to s...
Having tested, erred, retested, erred again and so on, I was finally happy with how the homemade japanning came out, so did several restores. We’ll try and do a summary of everything learned here in one blog post. Supplies needed:Asphaltum—available in powder form or liquid, which is what I used. Art supply stores seem to be the best source, as it is used in acid etching.Solvent—Xylol or turpentine should either work fine. Both are capable of suspending the heavy...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1808 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 129 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 114 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1833 entries
- dbhost - 441 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 321 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 245 entries
- Dave Rutan - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- bandit571 - 201 entries