This roll around tool cabinet is a project I took on so I could learn new techniques and processes. This will be my first frame and panel project build. Besides that I have also chosen to use some new techniques in this build. CUTTING DOVETAILS ON MY TABLE SAW BY USING L-SHAPED FENCE ON MITER GAUGE I have seen others on the Internet use their table saw to cut dovetails. I will use a Gregory Paolini process to cut my dovetails and pins using L-style fences fastened to my INCRA 1000HD m...
Again rehearsing dry clamping procedure helps to determine the best way to clamp this back to the case. What I learned was that I needed two long pipe clamps in order to make sure the frame and the case went together squarely. Plus I needed about a 1/8” thin shim piece on the bottom right side of the case just below the face frame so enough of the face frame would be proud of the case all along the right side of that case. Once the clamping solution was determined in the dry fit, ...
What is the plan tomorrow? Well, here is my list which I will report on after the day’s work is done. 1) Sand the face frame then glue, pin and clamp it to the carcase.2) Make hardwood plugs to fill the countersunk screw holes, glue them in place.3) With a scrap piece of poplar test the saw blade height of 3/8 inches for cutting the center grooves on the poplar frame pieces. And, then cut those center grooves. First, centered on all parts and then with the rip fence adjusted, wid...
I like how the cherry hardwood is reacting to the coats of Danish Oil I have applied on top of the three coats of Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO). I will check tomorrow if this table needs a fourth coat of Danish Oil. So far what I have applied looks great. If anything else is required it will be a good buffing of Briwax furniture wax.
If I was to start over with selecting the finish coats for this table, I would not use Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO). I do believe that it has gone on okay. I am satisfied that the BLO has done what it can. However, the blotchiness on the table top does bother me. I believe as the cherry ages that the blotchiness will dissipate, if not disappear in time. However, I know there is not a guarantee about that result. My options from here are (1) continue to apply more BLO, (2) spray some Shella...
Simply the weather is turning colder and its rainy. In order to enhance the dry time, I brought the trestle table in doors to an empty bedroom. I will store it here so the oil finish will dry quicker than it would in the woodshop. I will give this table a few weeks to dry before I start to apply paste wax and buff it.
I wiped each part. I then fastened the battens by aligning them to the knife marks I had made before applying the BLO finish. Three #6 – 1 inch flathead screws for each batten. I also decided to add another thin coat of BLO. I may wait another 48 hours before assembling the table.
I am getting close to completing this project. This morning I applied my third coat of Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO). I made sure I soaked the end grain parts. In 48 hours I will give this project a thorough inspection in order to determine if any further coats needs to be applied. If three is enough, then I will fasten the battens to the table top’s underside with #6 – 1 inch long square drive flat head screws. I will hand screw these in. The table top for sure is gain a nice...
I decided to test a few finishes in order to determine which I will apply to this trestle table. I gathered some small cherry sample. I made a trip to my local big box store for a can of Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO) as well as a gallon can of denatured alcohol and an additional can of natural Watco Danish Oil. These new additions go along with my Zinsser Shellac Seal Coat sanding sealer. My Annie picked the BLO for use on this table. She liked the darker finish as well as how it highlighte...
I started working in my shop thinking that I would apply my first coat of finish on this trestle table today, but I did not get that far. I decided to sand this table top instead of hand planing it further. I went through the several grits starting at 80, then the following in this order 120, 150, 180 and then 220. To remove the dust from each part I used mineral spirits with a paper towel. These pictures were taken following cleaning with that wet paper towel. I am still undecided...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1821 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Shop stuff - 80 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1846 entries
- dbhost - 449 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 324 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 272 entries
- William - 258 entries
- robscastle - 255 entries
- shipwright - 255 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 225 entries
- bandit571 - 223 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries