Anyone know how they fill the wooden knife handles with resin? Tung oil? Varnish? Is it soaked for a long time then wiped off?
In this video I’m showing how I fill a knot hole with 5 minute epoxy resin coloured with the sawdust of the wood for a close match. Thanks for dropping by to have a look.
I am pretty much done with the construction of the box itself. I had left the pins extra long and needed to trim them off, which is better then leaving them extra short and um… oh shoot. After some trimming and cleaning up the joints today I drilled and installed the hinges for the doors. I used SOSS model 100 hinges, 2 on each door which is good for material 1/2” thickness. I like those hinges, easy to install, fit well, and completely hidden for a nice clean look. You’l...
Ancientwood has developed a technique for filling large, structural cracks, sometimes found in Ancient Kauri slabs. This is a step-by-step approach for creating a flat surface with beautiful patterns and design. 1. The slab must first be flattened. This can be done with a drum sander, planer or a CNC router.2. After the slab is flat, locate cracks that need filling.3. Fill any hairline cracks with color-matched latex putty. Wet the adjacent area of the Ancient Kauri with spirits to get an a...
As I mentioned in my recent workbench blog, I had used inverted dovetail joinery to connect the skirt of the benchtop to the endcap. just like Arabian Nights, there are 1001 stories why joinery can get screwed up- mine were rushing + miscalculating + lack of experience + other. All of these matter not, and the end result is a misaligned, crooked, awfully looking, and unacceptable dovetail fit: you can plainly see the tearout and large gaps between the mating parts, and the misalignment on ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1199 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1221 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 333 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 208 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 146 entries