Yep put together and made a number of pens this weekend starting on Friday after work. But before I get into that I mentioned last week that I had some glue ups drying in the shop for some shop items. I know nothing spectacular, just some 2×4s with holes drilled with a forstner bit. But oh so handy; the small one is attached via pocket holes to my mobile workstation by the drill press. My hope is not to lose the toothbrush and pencils as often. The larger one is a bit more advance...
Fortunately there has been no fire as of late. But what a week started it off with an earthquake and ended it with a hurricane. No damage to report at home and very minimal damage at work. Might wind up with a few extra chunks of wood to work at least. I have not really gotten a lot done in the shop this week. but did manage to work with a piece of that walnut I was experimenting with in the microwave. As you can see from one of the pictures the glue dried faster then I could work on i...
Just an update on this post. When I left off, it looked like this: I took a week’s hiatus – no motivation – and upon returning to the garage (last Sunday), I found this: Note it goes right to the pith, as every check I’ve seen in any log, branch, or twig in which I’ve noticed any checking does. This is why so many people remove the pith entirely from their blanks, and why pith-in end-grain turnings can be a bit of a craps shoot. Note that thi...
In the first half of this blog post, I cut up a Ficus log and made a nearly 11” round for later turning into a bowl. I sealed every part of it in Anchorseal. Flash forward about 12 days, this past Saturday, and I finally chucked it up and made a bowl. Unfortunately, as with everything Ficus I’ve ever sealed, it was covered with mold by this point, and a little bit stinky. I figured I’d turn the mold away. I went with a faceplate on the soon-to-be-concave side: ...
This past Sunday I decided to saw a Y-shaped Ficus log in half and get some bowl blanks out of it. I couldn’t fit the 14” section under my band saw’s 12” vertical clearance, so I just cut the first half, up to the Y split. Then I spent about 20-30 minutes sawing through the Y with my 24” carpenter saw. Good workout! I could fit a 10-7/8” circle on each log in the Y area, which I wanted to try turning for the twists in grain and color. I had to...
This is from nearly a month ago. I’m behind on my adventures. Chucking something properly in a lathe takes a little bit of thought and prep work. I only had about an hour after work, but was in the mood to learn a bit more. In this test, I simply wanted to see if I could make a thin, dish-like object in a small chunk of Indian Laurel (Ficus microcarpa). I had recently acquired a ton of it, so I just pinched it between centers and had at it. The test dish I would turn was from a pi...
As a home hobbyist in a big city, not working as much in BF as in “oh look, a log!” I decided to keep things simple on myself and go with KD DF for stickering my slabs. I have a bunch of really old, really dry stuff, and in fact tried to build some finger-jointed frames for another project I’d like to post about someday, but dropping one only a foot to the ground caused all 4 corners to shatter. It’s that dry. I figure that means it’ll be fairly inert, though who...
I routed in grooves on the fence of my new resawing jig for screwing logs to it, and with that, it was ready for action: Here’s a video – shot on yesterday’s lunch break, edited together last night, with the jig I made on Sunday – of my very first resawing work. The Timberwolf blade works very well, with no resistance and a clean cut. The Craftsman 18” wood/metal bandsaw is a slightly different story. It’s wobbly, which is just a ‘feature...
A bit over a week ago I found some logs outside a neighbor’s place down the street while on my way home from work on a Friday night. They were Ficus microcarpa (AKA Chinese banyan, AKA Indian Laurel, AKA curtain fig, AKA etc…). Almost a week later – a few days ago – I found another load of the same logs in the same spot on my way home for lunch. This morning while heading into work, I passed the same spot, and the biggest haul yet was sitting there. I was running a few...
Remember that haul last week of fig logs? I used the new dolly to move them around back: Here’s the load by the light of day: Exactly one week later, running home on my lunch break, I found ANOTHER PILE of them in the same spot, from the same tree likely. Of course, I had to back up, pull over, and load those in, too :) Pretty big! This rooty section had wood chunks that didn’t match. I think they’re Douglas fir, from a fence or garden somethi...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries