LumberJocks

Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'failed'

  • Advertise with us
View Gary Fixler's profile

turnings #11: first hollow-form failure update - major checking!

1788 days ago by Gary Fixler | 31 comments »

Just an update on this post. When I left off, it looked like this: I took a week’s hiatus – no motivation – and upon returning to the garage (last Sunday), I found this: Note it goes right to the pith, as every check I’ve seen in any log, branch, or twig in which I’ve noticed any checking does. This is why so many people remove the pith entirely from their blanks, and why pith-in end-grain turnings can be a bit of a craps shoot. Note that thi...

Read this entry »


View Gary Fixler's profile

turnings #10: Newfound respect for hollow-form turners

1800 days ago by Gary Fixler | 10 comments »

Well, I tried out the tools I got from mom for my birthday recently. Of note: 1) My 1/2” Sorby Spindlemaster was not a good indicator of how the 3/4” and 1” behave. I’ve been using the 1/2” however I liked, never reading up on how to use it, nor watching any videos. I recently watched one and thought “Huh, I’ve been using it entirely wrong.” I’ve been holding it flat, and using a combination of things with both hands and the tool rest t...

Read this entry »


View Gary Fixler's profile

turnings #5: too thin a champagne glass turning

1821 days ago by Gary Fixler | 7 comments »

After knocking out a Jacaranda bowl in one lunch break, I was a little fired up that night to do more, so I got a stick of Jacaranda from the pile and cut it into some small pieces for making tiny champagne glasses. My attempt here was to go very thin-wall. I didn’t bother with process pics (it gets a little tedious sometimes :) You can see light shining through the walls into the interior of the glass: Unfortunately, I went a little too thin in the middle. Note how mu...

Read this entry »


View Gary Fixler's profile

turnings #2: turnings - some failures as prelude to some successes

1828 days ago by Gary Fixler | 4 comments »

Earlier this week I ended up with some scrap baltic birch ply, and cut it into squares with the band saw. I sanded the faces a bit and glued them all together overnight with Titebond III and a Bessey K-Body clamp: A little turning later: And I was starting to get a wine glass shape: That’s probably where I should have stopped. I knew that going thin-stem with the plywood in this orientation was asking for trouble, but I just kept going anyway, mad with power: ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase