I got it in my head that i could create a turned box for my niece’s birthday. I glued up two blanks with a piece of plywood in between the two halves to add interest. I went out and bought some plumbing supplies to make a face plate for my drill powered, wood turning lash-up.And went to turning. While it was spinning it looked good, but when I stopped it to take a look, the ugly truth was revealed. I’m not sure if the problem was the vibration of the drill, ...
So a week or so ago I built a crown molding shelf for my soon to be born daughters room. Well I only built one and after looking at it on the wall I decided that it looked a little lonely there hanging all by itself so I did what any self respecting woodworker would do …......... I gave myself another reason to build something. I went to the store and bought the materials I would need and a little extra, you know just in case. Well my wife was with me so I couldn’t buy a much e...
While waiting for parts of the Rocket Bookcase to dry, I launched into another project. Turns out SWMBO recently put the kabash on a potential gift of a lathe to me. Now, leaving aside the shock of the aborted tool acquisition, I could understand the logic, and after the events described below, I now agree with it. What exactly can you do (not master turners or guys who can spend all day in the shop—-I’m talking regular Joe’s like me who have maybe an hour or so a day i...
Fail is in the title but really, it was a success. I successfully learned a new a trick on the mill! And that’s a half glass full, people! See SanJuanCarpentry.com for more! If the video doesn’t appear, CLICK HERE to see it now!
Last Saturday I posed a goblet that I had made from construction grade 1/2inch plywood that was glued up and then turned. It came out better than expected.Today I was trying to turn another complimentary piece from the same products and process.Here are the pics of what happened. I am not sure if my tool caught the wood and caused the break or if the break caused the piece to move and and then catch.In any case, the plywood came apart (not at a glue line) and flew and bounced around the gar...
Just an update on this post. When I left off, it looked like this: I took a week’s hiatus – no motivation – and upon returning to the garage (last Sunday), I found this: Note it goes right to the pith, as every check I’ve seen in any log, branch, or twig in which I’ve noticed any checking does. This is why so many people remove the pith entirely from their blanks, and why pith-in end-grain turnings can be a bit of a craps shoot. Note that thi...
Well, I tried out the tools I got from mom for my birthday recently. Of note: 1) My 1/2” Sorby Spindlemaster was not a good indicator of how the 3/4” and 1” behave. I’ve been using the 1/2” however I liked, never reading up on how to use it, nor watching any videos. I recently watched one and thought “Huh, I’ve been using it entirely wrong.” I’ve been holding it flat, and using a combination of things with both hands and the tool rest t...
After knocking out a Jacaranda bowl in one lunch break, I was a little fired up that night to do more, so I got a stick of Jacaranda from the pile and cut it into some small pieces for making tiny champagne glasses. My attempt here was to go very thin-wall. I didn’t bother with process pics (it gets a little tedious sometimes :) You can see light shining through the walls into the interior of the glass: Unfortunately, I went a little too thin in the middle. Note how mu...
Earlier this week I ended up with some scrap baltic birch ply, and cut it into squares with the band saw. I sanded the faces a bit and glued them all together overnight with Titebond III and a Bessey K-Body clamp: A little turning later: And I was starting to get a wine glass shape: That’s probably where I should have stopped. I knew that going thin-stem with the plywood in this orientation was asking for trouble, but I just kept going anyway, mad with power: ...
I’m building a little rack system currently, and I just keep failing miserably. I wanted to do something a little nicer than usual, so I made some 1/4” walnut pegs, and was planning to face the front edges of the rack with 1/8” walnut strips, and drill and peg through that with lighter wood that matches the plywood of the sides and shelves. To hold the shelves in, I’d drive pegs through from the outside, walnut pegs through ply sides, the inverse of the fronts. For wha...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1692 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1717 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 402 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 286 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 203 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 190 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries
- Dave Rutan - 189 entries