So I decided to breakdown and build a workbench for my super small shop. It was a hefty decision, considering I’m working in a single stall garage from the 50’s that barely had enough room for my sedan from the beginning. But it seemed to me that a workbench was a must if I wanted to take fine woodworking seriously at all. With that being said, I also didn’t have the time, space or skills to plane tons of boards to an exact thickness and insure a quality top after it was ...
After finishing the mockup of the face vise, I was now ready to do it for real. I started by gluing up a couple piece of oak for the main chop. You saw me use my new planer sled to mill the two large faces flat. I used the mockup to locate and cut the 2 main holes for the screws.I used a regular hole saw on my drill press to cut the holes. It was slow going through the hard oak, but I made it through. Next I wanted to dress up and round over the ends of the chop. I layout a small reveal...
Here is a quick update on attaching the face vise. This last weekend I worked on a mockup of the face vise. I thought it best to practice on some cheap lumber instead of the nicer wood I’m planning to use. I didn’t take any pictures of the mockup process, but I will do some detailed pictures when I do the final assembly. I picked up a standard 2×10 “construction” grade stud at my local Lowe’s and started to lay things out. It was good I decided to mock this up, because there were a...
Since I couldn’t start drawboring the stretchers and legs together, I thought I’d spend my wait time finishing all the work on the underside of the bench. First, I had to make sure the underside of the top was reasonably flat. Prior to doing the final glue-up of the top, I had two 12” wide sections, each of which was run through my planer. So I knew those two sections were identical in thickness and were very flat. And I used my jointer to joint the mating edge of each s...
... THANK YOU to http://lumberjocks.com/VillageCarpenter – I have driven by the Cloisters a million times, but until I read about it in her blog, I never considered going. workbench in the workshop from the Ephrata Cloister. (pictures go here – but no joy in posting flickr pics, please click the link below) The English Style workbench had no stretchers across the front or back – but on closer inspection, I think I found the mortises where they once were. It̵...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1373 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1396 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 228 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 191 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 158 entries