Time passed quickly today. I was only able to fasten the face frame to the cabinet case and plug the countersink screw holes today. However, it was a good day. I will use my hand plane to shave some of the excess width of the face frame tomorrow. There is a small fraction that needs to be trimmed. Also I started to pare flush the plugs. The remainder will be finished tomorrow.
I have been trying to make progress on getting the face frame attached so that I can begin the doors and drawers. Unfortunately, it has gone slower than usual, which is why there has been such a long time between posts. I have compared this process to the Johnny Cash song “One Piece at a Time”, because on most days that was all I was able to do… One piece at a time. Anywho, the process was pretty straightforward: Cut pieces, glue, nail gun, pocket holes from the back. ...
This morning, rather than exercising or actually studying for school, I went back to the garage to try to knock out the shelf. I was out there for about 45 minutes, and came in at 1:00 pm. I went out at 8:30. So my day was pretty well shot. I’ll hit the books this afternoon, take a test, and hopefully not fail. Here you can see I’ve got the face frame attached. I like to use dowels to help me keep everything aligned – plus I’m a little cheap, so I don’t wa...
Complicated Face Frame The Dr. White’s chest is a combination wardrobe/chest of drawers and has a complicated face frame. There are eight mortise and tenon joints, ten dovetail joints, and one half-lap joint in the frame. I cut the dovetail joints with my Leigh dovetail jig. Watch this video to see how I cut the female portion of the face frame dovetail joints. I cut the male portion of the joint using the same jig in the vertical mode and the bit set at the same depth. NOTE: Chip out...
I had practice with face frames during the kitchen project and got pretty decent at it. I use a Kreg pocket screw jig and face frame clamp for this style. The cabinets had a frame around the outside without the intermediate rails. That made it a bit more challenging, but it wasn’t too bad. I used one piece of wood so I could make the length cut in one pass in order to make sure they were all the same length. One thing about sassafras – when you work with it, the smell is...
I found some great ideas for building storage beds for our two boys on the internet, at Ana White Homemaker. After studying these plans for a bit, I decided I wanted to make some changes, mainly to upgrade the joinery methods and make the base cabinets deeper, so they met in the middle under the box spring. So, here’s what I came up with after learning google sketchup, and going through a few design revisions. This bed is basically made up of several box cabinets that will be bolted ...
I’ve got my own site where I like to write about my projects so rather than duplicate them here I’ll just provide a little teaser. If you’d like to read the full post just click here. Getting back into the swing of things with this project gave me the opportunity to finally mount my new Freud Diablo blades in both my table saw and my miter saw. I needed both blades for the project this time because I was ripping down some of the maple hardwood on the table saw and then cutting the face fra...
I started a theme for each day of the week. Fridays will be “French Fry Friday” and I’ll be talking about some sort of accessories that I build. Why “French Fry Friday”? I always here “would you like fries with that?” Fries are a side item and not part of the main meal. Same thing with the accessories or smaller items that I build. I blog about the big stuff but neglect the smaller stuff. So hear is a chance for often overlooked items to shine. This first one is a bookcase that was part of...
Today I took both doors out of the clamps and ran them through the drum sander to get them smooth and flat. I am very pleased with the way these doors turned out. Once they were sanded smooth it was pretty difficult to even see where I had added the new rails and stiles to increase the length and width. Here are the doors after the sanding and laying side by side. After that I put the cabinet top and bottom shelf in and temporarily screwed them in place. I then made a mock up of a f...
My Craftsman 13” planer is a real beast to move around in the shop. It’s very heavy, and really bulky. As such, it’s just always either in the way when I don’t need it, or really hard to get to when I do, having collected many items from other projects on and around it since its previous use. After setting up to use it, I’m often too tired to. I’ve even changed some projects to avoid planing altogether, just because I don’t want to move a few dozen th...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 86 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 276 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 232 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries