I thought it might be a good idea to post the board holder that I use for safe and sure router easy mitring. This holder keeps your hands clear of the cutting operation (which should satisfy the safety minded amongst us) and applies uniform pressure to the cut over the width of the board. It’s made from MDF and three wood screws. Top view Bottom view (flipped horizontally The fences slide into the main board running in a dovetailed 3 mm routed groove in the main boa...
This is a real time blog of a project that I am presently making. If you wish to copy it please wait until I have posted the finished project before doing so. Thank you. After being sucessful building my last project, The Cage, it occurred to me to attempt something with a few more layers. A theme in my projects before is a rainbow like progression; white, yellow, orange, red, purple and black.There are woods that closely represent these colours; Sycamore (English), Pau Amarello, Yew (Engl...
This is a real-time blog, that is I am blogging as I am working on the project. As it is my own design I respectfully request that anyone wishing to copy it waits until I have posted the finished project. I am not showing the pattern, up front, that I’m using for this box. That mystery will unfold as I build it. Suffice to say that1. I have a fully dimensioned drawing, on the wall board, in the workshop which I am working from.2. It will be a shell, EZ Mitre box. Therefore I am goin...
This is a real-time blog, that is I am blogging as I am working on the project. As it is my own design I respectfully request that anyone wishing to copy it waits until I have posted the finished project. The first project I ever posted on LJ’s was for a set of four boxes made for myself and three friends to commemorate the 30 th anniversary of a house share, the Garden Avenue boxes.There was also a blog showing how I made the pattern. Like most of the ‘top only’ patterns...
I left you with this All the pattern pieces neatly laid out. Now to get them glued down to make a board. The first thing I did was make a black and white outline print of the design. Taped it to my cutting mat and taped some clear library film (sticky side up) over the print. This allows me to build up a fixed pattern which can be glued to a board in one go. Here’s a couple of shots of the progress outer and some of the next ring (Yew) pieces stuck down to the film from th...
This is a real-time blog, that is I am blogging as I am working on the project. As it is my own design I respectfully request that anyone wishing to copy it waits until I have posted the finished project. I’ve made this design using part of the Fibonacci series of numbers; that is specifically 1,2,3,5,8, as proportions for the parts of this mosaic box. It’s going to be an EZ Mitre box so here is the plan for the initial board Starting at 1 for the diameter of the centra...
At three o’clock in the morning my brain usually wakes up. It then starts to worry about random things. In an effort to stop this keeping me awake for the rest of the night I generally give it something real to worry about. Like how on Earth do I perform EZ Mitre on a box with only 17mm of contact at each corner. To illustrate The four black corners at the top have joints 17 mm long to the sides. Scary. This seemed to be enough to divert my waking mind. Well it said you’ve ...
Well the top pattern was successful and now I have this board which I need to attach the black, outside layer to. The finally visible pattern part of this board is, with the board flat like this, a square of 116 mm sides. So I cut a piece of 18 mm MDF to this size. The arc patterns emerge out of this area mid-way along each side and the three arcs total 24mm wide. So I marked 24 mm midway along each side of the square. These marks, when aligned with the arcs on all four s...
When I made the wall hanging, Dance on a Volcano I considered at one point making it into an EZ Mitre box. I liked the pattern so much as it was that it stayed that way. I go past it on the Stairway to Devon, every day and it always makes me think of a box alternative. So I set about designing one, using TurboCAD to 3D model it. I came up with this. My initial thoughts were to make it in solid wood, much like the original using; Sycamore, Pau Amarello, Yew, Padauk, Purpleheart and Ebon...
This is the interesting bit. First the top, the easier part?! I cut the centre sections out of the four Padauk strips. Book matched them, mitred them and glued up the above square. Yes I know theres a hole in it. I forgot to take the picture before I started the ‘boring’ bit. Here’s the padauk top square with a pattern on it for centres of holes which are at the innermost part of the top slots. I could have done it by hand but as the plan was already in CAD I j...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries