[See the finished project here] Well, I got the top of the router table done. The next step is to make the 3 drawers that go in the cabinet. Shown in the photo is my set up for milling the rabbets and dados in the drawer pieces. I temporarily put the sacrificial fence from my table saw on the table saw fence to use with the router. The last part of this project before painting will be to make a proper router fence. It will still attach to the table saw rip fence, but will have a few...
Today’s efforts went into building the router table insert onto which the router will be mounted. I laminated a piece of Luan to the 1/2 inch plywood to make it look nice. The underside of the plywood has been routed out to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. I hope to create different throat inserts for when I have smaller work pieces. I also installed 3 lengths of 3/8 inch threaded rod with which the cabinet will be fastened to the table saw. That way I can remove it if I should wa...
I’m going to finish the top and install it before installing the drawers. It should be easier that way to get my hands inside, plus I always build the drawers last just in case my ideal measurements were not met. This wooden piece matches the profile of the edge on the table saw, allowing me to use the rip fence further away from the blade and also use the rip fence to hold my router fence. The piece will be attached on the edge of the router table top. Here is a better view of t...
Having recalculated my cuts for this cabinet, I have enough to the entire cabinet, plus the 3 drawers. It will measure about 16×16 inches by 34 inches high. The router table top will be 20×16 inches. I’ll be making a router fence to clamp onto my table saw rip fence. I scored a few pieces of wood that I can use to make the combined unit mobile. I wish I had made this one first since a lot of the cuts were made with a handheld circular saw. I’m going to need to buy ...
Because I am often frustrated by the limitations of my small table saw, I decided to put this project on the front burner. Today I drove up to a friend’s house to rescue him from being buried under too much wood. I came away with some 1/2 inch plywood less than 2 feet square and a few other goodies for future use. Then I headed down to my big box store and bought some hardware and a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood. I had it cut in quarters so that it would fit in my car. (Last time I asked...
My table saw is a small one. I don’t think it counts as a contractor saw. If I recall correctly it’s sold as a bench-top. I have it mounted in a stand and it serves me well enough. The one shortcoming of my TS is its size. I think the widest rip I can cut is 11 3/4 inches. I’ve given thought on how to add an extension wing and have even recreated the profile of the front edge so that the fence could be used on any extension I build. But If I’m going to add a TS ex...
The table assembly is now complete. Since the leaves store in the table, the aprons needed to be hinged. I used short piano (continuous) hinges from hardware source.com. The hinges are 4.5” long, and lock at 90 degrees, similar to jewlery box hinges. I used inset rare earth magnets to lock the hinged aprons in there in-use positions. Felt lines the frame, which creates a nice little nest for the leaves. The table extends to accept two 12” leaves v...
I was holding off on the last (lower and larger) drawers due to lack of material which in essence was a good thing as It made me rethink those drawer dimensions and ended up with what I believe is a better build, but more about that later. What was the issue? The lower 3 drawers are the largest/tallest at 6”, 5”, and 5”, but I only had enough materials for 3 ~2.5” tall drawers + some additional material but not enough to glue material together to give me 6”...
Its been a while since the previous post mostly because I wasn’t sure I was happy with the original design. I went to the local lumber supplier that carries mahogany plywood and bought the 3/4” material for the carcass and baking. While there I had them cut the 1/2 full sheet to 2 halves (2 quarter sheets) so it’ll be easier for me to transport with my car (don’t have a large truck anymore). With the 2 pieces now sitting in the garage, the original design seemed ...
As usual, no project ever goes the way I envision it. Even projects that I design 1st tend to take a left turn at some point. And so it is that I have hit that left turn in this project. With the top finished and ready to be cut for the miter track and the router opening I was left with trying to figure out exactly what I wanted to do and whether or not I wanted an insert plate. Two things happened which are going to change the direction of this project a little bit. The 1st was finall...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1600 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1625 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries