One or two more things to do but will be waiting for warmer weather come Feb..So here she is. Thanks for all that followed the build and too all that gave me ideas and help an extra THANKS!!!. Here’s the project page.http://lumberjocks.com/projects/215074 Here’s all the build pictures.http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/heretolearn7/Excavator/story
I could have had this thing done a week ago if I had stayed with the plans. lolI keep adding ideas and making it more complicated than it already is. But that’s part of the fun of it.This is a brain puzzle that needs to be solved. All of the big stuff is done but I can’t bring myself to glue it up so yesterday I doweled all the bases and engine compartment so it will be able to come apart for one last sanding at the end.Played with the cabin furniture.Our operator is in his ...
Here’s a great tool for buffing off small parts with out rounding the edges. There needs to be a 1/2” slack for the tracks to move smoothly but when it’s not going to be moved around I’d like it to look nice and tight so made the power wheels axle adjustable still need to make a nice nob for the back but it’ll come. Started on the hydraulics out in my cold cold shop. lol I know he needs some under arm deodorant but is sassafra...
Played with the tracks again today.Got the one side cut out yesterday so today I’ll get the other side done and start drilling for dowels.Here’s what needs done and the jig to get er done.More of the same but I will point out that I will be cutting grooves in the walnut and some of the mahogany nowjust for this set but will need to set it all up all over again later for another walnut set so I’m making a cutting board. With this I will be able to just set the board over t...
Had to fix two really dumb mistakes, I glued up the booms before I cut out the places for them to bolt up.Would have taken 10 minutes I put in a couple a hours trying to cut them out with out buggering it up.I have the technology but shore is a lot easier if you do it right the first time. Finally got to play with the tracks this after noon.Cut out the lumber to length then needed 3/8” for the treads so split some walnut and while I’m at it will be making a set of mahogany trea...
Played with the cabin today, thankfully the bad weather went around us here in Huntsville al.Went to Google and searched for a more modern looking cabin.The picture I liked was of the whole machine so the cabin was to small so took the picture printed it out then enlarger it. It took 4 tries at different sized before I found the right size.Then made 4 copy’s and cut and pasted on the wood cut them out and it’s done.Sounds easy but it took all day.I was planning to go rounder with ...
Cleaned up the mating edges then sanded some more on the base and engine cover then,played with the booms and bucket. Made the booms in three parts to add a little color and just change it around a little.Still need to plane down the booms some more . The bucket took quite a bit a work, first glue it all up then cut it out then sand sand sand.I cut out the inside of the bucket then sanded it up really good then glued up the sides.The main bucket is all end grain [1/4” thick] it co...
Finally got the plans for the Toys & Joys Excavator.I had the plans for the Wood Stores Excavator but just wanted to try my hand at building some tracks.Before I started this project I’ve checked out a bunch of other builds on this site and man there’s some OUT STANDING work going on around here!!! I’m going to be using walnut and sassafras.I wanted the sassafras for the root beer smell but it just stinks! LOLSassafras looks a lot like oak but with more figure. T...
Today we tore down the south wall of the shop. My Dad, my (twin) brother and I started at 7am and finished and around 2pm. We started be removing the tin, the taking out studs and posts with chainsaws and sledge hammers. A scissor life made this much easier then using a ladder. There were four large wooden posts which were about 4 feet in the ground that were pulled out by a Deere 50D mini excavator. We also had to remove the existing garage door. The reason we took down this wall today is so...
Here is just a quick update. My Dad owns a construction company so he just had some guys come to our house to tear out the pavement where the additions will be made.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1736 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1761 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 239 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 216 entries
- stefang - 215 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Dave Rutan - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries