First of all, thanks to Trifern and Max for beating me to posting anything. They’ve given me welcome comments before I could do anything! Been reading this site daily for a couple of months now inspiring myself to build again…. So I’ll start with a work in progress. A couple of friends and myself decided to build our own DN ice boats sometime last year. I’ve already got one that I purchased a couple of years ago, but that’s only have the fun! So we got toge...
After cleaning the bark, the next task at hand was to fill the large crack in the top and the slab for the legs with epoxy, I used blue masking tape to cover the openings on the underside and the sides of both pices of walnut and placed them both over plastic/paper drop cloths from the depot. Their cheap and protect my benches and floor. I used System 3 mirror coat two-part epoxy, mixed according to the instructions using some cheap plastic mixing cups from an autobody supply house. I p...
In this video I’m showing how I fill a knot hole with 5 minute epoxy resin coloured with the sawdust of the wood for a close match. Thanks for dropping by to have a look.
The first rule I try to follow when using epoxies is “Don’t get any on you !” and the second one is “Don’t get any on your handles !” Basically for more reasons than I need to get into here no one wants to get it on them. The question seems to be how to avoid it. I’ve used A LOT of epoxy over the years for everything from gluing hulls together to making wooden fuel tanks, water tanks and even a bathtub and I’ve developed a number of procedure...
This is a time lapse video created using an I-phone on a tripod. I’m covering a recently finished bar top which is solid 2 5/8’ think live edge Bubinga in Three Systems MirrorCoat. This is a 2:1 epoxy that self levels and is completely clear, your able to remove bubbles with a blow torch one down side is a 3 day cure time 90%, 100% in 7 days Everything worked out well, this is still a project in progress so I will have more pictures and videos about this bar once completed ...
Hello again, As I mentioned in my last post, when I got the next coat of epoxy put on I would post it, so here it is. This will be short, I promise. This side was still missing the glitter from when I first poured the epoxy because it sank to the bottom. So, I let it dry and applied another coat of epoxy mixed with glitter so it would match. Tomorrow I will coat this whole side with epoxy to include the edges. It should give the glitter some depth and a nice flood coat will finish bringing ou...
Hello everyone. This is my very first attempt at a blog, ever. If you are reading this then something in the title has captured your interest. I am attempting an experiment with epoxy (EnviroTex) that I haven’t seen before so I guess you would say I’m the pioneer. The stuff I’m using is called EnviroTex lite pour on high gloss finish. It’s a two part mixture of epoxy resin & polyamine hardener (equal parts of both). If you have never tried this, this stuff is amazi...
Well guys, as promised, here is side 1 of the finished “Epoxy Experiment” project I’ve been working on. After fixing the antennas & some sanding, this is the finished first side of my project. I added some spots of green & blue glitter mixed with epoxy to give it a little extra color. Note: You have to keep a close eye on it at first after pouring the epoxy, it is on the runny side. Keep an eye out for drips & wipe them off the bottom, remember this is going to b...
Hello to anyone that is actually following along. I now have the epoxy poured, added some red & white glitter with some little stars, hearts & flowers. I noticed that most of the items sank to the bottom, I’ll have to make up for this during the final coat. I covered the bottom with packing tape so it wouldn’t just run through. During the tape removal I noticed It is still rather sticky. So take note: more drying time for the bottom to dry. Top of project after the epox...
This is a quick up date of my progress. I cut out the butterfly on my band saw, then hand sanded it to round out the edges to a 400 grit. Of course small things do break & this was no exception. The antennas of my butterfly broke, so I am in the process of fixing that. First I tried some tight bond2, it didn’t stay. Next & finally, CA glue with a mixture of blood wood dust. I’m letting it dry now, then a little more sanding & I’ll be ready for the next coat of ep...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries