Tonight, as I write this, my wife is out with her sisters and I’m exercising my skills in fatherhood. I’m also watching my nephews. Currently, the boys are sleeping and my daughter has just finished her 8 PM snack. Yes, this means I’m not in the shop again tonight, but that’s okay. I did spend a little time in the shop yesterday and as limited as it was, I did manage to work a little further on my knot repair exercise. Welcome to Fight Club.
Well, the top is all glued up and belt sanded to flatten the ridges. The boards glued together quite nicely and it’s not very noticeable that I had to rip them into four boards instead of two. Since the lumber I had was all from the same tree, I was able to sequence match two boards to make the top and bookmatched them. There were a few open knots that needed filling so I mixed a little dust with some epoxy and that’s what those globs are on the top. The repairs should l...
Ancientwood has developed a technique for filling large, structural cracks, sometimes found in Ancient Kauri slabs. This is a step-by-step approach for creating a flat surface with beautiful patterns and design. 1. The slab must first be flattened. This can be done with a drum sander, planer or a CNC router.2. After the slab is flat, locate cracks that need filling.3. Fill any hairline cracks with color-matched latex putty. Wet the adjacent area of the Ancient Kauri with spirits to get an a...
Friday, 04.11.2008… I’ve been attempting for a while to get started in transforming my half of our small 2-car garage into a usable workshop. The last several months have been filled with snow out here in Utah and my desire to spend any amount of time in the garage with the door open has been quite minimal. But with Spring arriving, the weather was calling me to find a project. As luck would have it, my good friend called last week to tell me he had just epoxied his garage flo...
First of all, thanks to Trifern and Max for beating me to posting anything. They’ve given me welcome comments before I could do anything! Been reading this site daily for a couple of months now inspiring myself to build again…. So I’ll start with a work in progress. A couple of friends and myself decided to build our own DN ice boats sometime last year. I’ve already got one that I purchased a couple of years ago, but that’s only have the fun! So we got toge...
so my router table project has come to an end. i got my shipment from Lee Valley today and i am happy to say that everything is completed. first upon getting the 2’ T-track i cut it in half with a jigsaw and a metal cutting blade. then i epoxied the track into place. i used a board of mdf to distribute pressure and my two former table saw wings which are probably around 20 pounds each on top. then i just drilled for and installed the t bolts and put on the knobs. and when the fen...
Thanks Everyone for the warm welcome everyone! I just a young guy that is a beginning woodworker. So if anyone has any tips and suggestions let me know!! The project that I am working on now is a wooden tub. I am using 8/4 red oak and building what is essentially big square box. Right now I am glueing up the wood together to make all the sides. Now I know what your thinking. Wood and water don’t mix. In the past when people have built wooden tubs it was left completely fi...
We should be paddling these next weekend at Lime Rock . My brother is going to be racing over the weekend in his Peyote MKII in the Rolex Vintage Festival. It should be a great time. Here are the finished paddles….actually I still need to varnish them but they shouldn’t change much. The one on the right is the 2nd one. Much lighter than the 1st and likely to be the one my brother chooses. Blade fronts…I really like #2…I hope it performs well with the rolled edge....
I completed the other paddle this weekend. Both are all done exept for the finishing. I’ve decided against doing any fiberglassing. I’m planning on using the West Systems epoxy with the 207 hardener and then 3 coats of Epifanes varnish. I’m going to wait for the warmer drier weather later in the week. I’ve noticed big differences in the epoxy finish depending on the weather. I didn’t take as many pictures of the process on this one…basically the same as ...
I started #2 today. This one I’m shooting for better performance. I’m only using five 1/4” laminations this time instead of six and only one is mahogany instead of two. No lyptus in the handle this time either. The difference in weight is very noticable already. Carving out the shark for the inlay Dry fit. The splines for the blade. I book matched the front and rear blade faces. The front is going to be cedar, the rear mahogany. The light cedar front will have a ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1062 parts
- Extremely Average - 325 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 85 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Just for Fun... - 75 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 64 parts
- 52 Weeks - 52 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1084 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 384 entries
- Ecocandle - 326 entries
- dbhost - 318 entries
- Martin Sojka - 294 entries
- Karson - 289 entries
- MsDebbieP - 285 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- William - 215 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Stevinmarin - 201 entries
- mafe - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 183 entries
- Rustic - 182 entries
- PurpLev - 159 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 148 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries