It has been a hectic week here. Last weekend I drove over 1500 km round trip to attend my cousin’s 40th wedding anniversary, then my mother came for a visit for a couple of days, Wednesday was family day Thursday was cold raining but I managed to do a bit on hull 816, Friday was mostly taken up with paperwork…a 24 page report on my holidays! Saturday I got back into the shop finished epoxying the tops of the bouyancy tanks and the bottom, the bow and stern. This is where I lef...
As I closed in the bouyancy tanks I wasn’t really happy with the fit of the lid. I’d allowed a little wiggle room in the width of the top to line everything up nicely (I’m learning not to just rely on measuring:-) so I’d expected some over lap. The funny part is when I got things nailed down the overlap wasn’t all on one side. One the starboard side I’d nailed the inboard bulkhead first for the whole length and then pushed and pulled to fit the top to th...
Well this is the last view inside the tanks as they are now sealed. I will flip it over tomorrow and epoxy the hull, bow and transom and then its ready to float. It is a bit heavier than I thought so I am going to have to rig up some kind of ramp to get it on my roof rack. I may yet be forced into buying a small trailer. This is how I left hull 816 this evening. After the hull is coated I will tape and seal the tops of the tanks but I am just about out of epoxy so I want to get...
So I am having a pretty lazy morning and while I got up early thus morning I kinda just puttered the morning away (looking at potential boat plans can consume a lot of time:-) . I finally got out to the shop, the coffee pot was empty anyway, and decided to fillet the lower starboard joint and then while hull 816 was on its side I coated the interior of both bouyancy tanks and anything else that was horizontal in this orientation. On Paul’s (shipwright) suggestion I wetted out the fabr...
Lesson number one today: Scissors on the right—happy healthy normal pair of scissors Scissors on the right (EDIT: oops this should read ‘on the left’)—when you forget to wipe the epoxy off when you open your puke mouse or trim wet excess cloth…not at all happy pair of scissors. I bust out laughing at this new lesson when I picked them up and try to cut my tape to length:-) I’ve been making pretty good progress today. Its only noon and I’...
Today was a pretty productive day. I spent about 4 hours epoxying the joints and sides. The puke mouse Paul (shipwright) describes in his blog worked exactly as advertised. My technique requires some refinement but it sure did a tidy and quick job of laying down a fillet. I watched Sam Devlin’s primer on stitch and glue and he shows the filletting going between the stitches. I now see why. I broke 2 or 3 getting the stitches out. I will have to try the suggested heating of the wi...
Maybe the beginning of a larger project #14: You would think "Don't get any on you" would be an easy bit of advice to follow...
Well I got out to the shop and dived in with both feet:-) This is the supplies I bought last Saturday plus my version of the shipwright recommended stirring and application tool. This tool worked extremely well. I’ve not done any filletting yet so I haven’t put it through all its paces yet. Being mindful of the sponge like nature the ends of the plywood I am ensuring I spend a bit of time giving the edges a pretty thorough coat of epoxy. I even wedged in a few splinters...
Well I have bought the epoxy and have no more excuses:-) Yesterday was a bit of s slow day but I decided to fix the joints at the bow and stern with a trial of stitch and glue. This the bow after it has been stitched up. I was surprised at the draw strength of the wire stitches to close gaps! I have done a bit of an experimental change on the plans by adding a slight curve port to starboard along the bottom of the transom to lend a bit of curve to the bottom. My thinking is that...
Well I had a great pizza/birthday party with my family last night and a great visit with my Mom and youngest sister today. Candice, my sister, is a very accomplished Brazilian Jui Jitsu competitor and I had never seen her compete. Well I still haven’t seen her compete yet but I did get to see a practice and it was very impressive. It was more impressive to note that neither her or the coach were breathing anywhere near as hard as the rest of the group. Amazing fitness. But this isn...
Finally got into the shop last night for a short while. I needed more chine logs so I ripped the most dry 2 X 10 I had in the shop (recovered from another project) and was pleased with how much more straight grain I got from this piece. Bad part was the few knots were small and some popped out as I was sawing, and that is why it is important to have eye protection. I got hit several times in the glasses and one particularily ornery piece just below the hairline, man that stings :-) I also...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1806 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 124 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 111 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1831 entries
- dbhost - 438 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 318 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 245 entries
- Dave Rutan - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- bandit571 - 201 entries