The Discovery: A few months ago, I woke up one morning, poured my coffee, and was incredibly disappointed to see that my cutting board exploded! OK so maybe it wasn’t all that violent but it was cupped like crazy and had a very large split. Upon further inspection, I noticed a bit of trapped water in the center of the underside of the board. Now the thing to remember about end grain cutting boards is that even after finishing, they will still soak up moisture like a sponge. So standing ...
The first rule I try to follow when using epoxies is “Don’t get any on you !” and the second one is “Don’t get any on your handles !” Basically for more reasons than I need to get into here no one wants to get it on them. The question seems to be how to avoid it. I’ve used A LOT of epoxy over the years for everything from gluing hulls together to making wooden fuel tanks, water tanks and even a bathtub and I’ve developed a number of procedure...
I start with the lid already sized for the box. This one is purpleheart. I know, it’s almost impossible to carve, but it’s what the customer ordered. So I find a way. Next is to design your inlay After the drawing is done, I cover it with scotch tape or box tape Then comes the mirror and xacto knife After my stencil is made I transfer it to my lid blank With my trusty chip carving knife, I carve in my design. Since purpleheart is so hard I chose to o...
so my router table project has come to an end. i got my shipment from Lee Valley today and i am happy to say that everything is completed. first upon getting the 2’ T-track i cut it in half with a jigsaw and a metal cutting blade. then i epoxied the track into place. i used a board of mdf to distribute pressure and my two former table saw wings which are probably around 20 pounds each on top. then i just drilled for and installed the t bolts and put on the knobs. and when the fen...
Hello again, As I mentioned in my last post, when I got the next coat of epoxy put on I would post it, so here it is. This will be short, I promise. This side was still missing the glitter from when I first poured the epoxy because it sank to the bottom. So, I let it dry and applied another coat of epoxy mixed with glitter so it would match. Tomorrow I will coat this whole side with epoxy to include the edges. It should give the glitter some depth and a nice flood coat will finish bringing ou...
I won a REALLY beat up bedrock 603 off of the bay recently. It had a crack on one cheek and a mean twist to the bed. So I figured for 20$, I would see if it could bring it back to life. After a little welding (I suck at stick welding) Placed in to the oven to make the welds actually fileable and to relax the casting. After bringing it up to orange heat, I let it cool slowly in the box overnight. It was still a little warm the next day. This is after it cooled. and some f...
After I got the parts all finished, I was really excited to do a dry fit and see how everything looked. I didn’t even bother to change into any shop clothes! As you can see, tongue position is important when dry fitting pre-finished parts. Before I actually glued up an assembly, I dry fit the stool. The corner blocks are then set in place. The tenons on the corner blocks needed a little fitting to get them into position. Pilot holes for the screws were drilled and then the sto...
We should be paddling these next weekend at Lime Rock . My brother is going to be racing over the weekend in his Peyote MKII in the Rolex Vintage Festival. It should be a great time. Here are the finished paddles….actually I still need to varnish them but they shouldn’t change much. The one on the right is the 2nd one. Much lighter than the 1st and likely to be the one my brother chooses. Blade fronts…I really like #2…I hope it performs well with the rolled edge....
It has been a hectic week here. Last weekend I drove over 1500 km round trip to attend my cousin’s 40th wedding anniversary, then my mother came for a visit for a couple of days, Wednesday was family day Thursday was cold raining but I managed to do a bit on hull 816, Friday was mostly taken up with paperwork…a 24 page report on my holidays! Saturday I got back into the shop finished epoxying the tops of the bouyancy tanks and the bottom, the bow and stern. This is where I lef...
Well this is the last view inside the tanks as they are now sealed. I will flip it over tomorrow and epoxy the hull, bow and transom and then its ready to float. It is a bit heavier than I thought so I am going to have to rig up some kind of ramp to get it on my roof rack. I may yet be forced into buying a small trailer. This is how I left hull 816 this evening. After the hull is coated I will tape and seal the tops of the tanks but I am just about out of epoxy so I want to get...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1511 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1535 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 253 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 187 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 165 entries