Well here we are at the end….. At least for now. I filled in the teeth and sanded it back down. I am happy with the results. It was a very fun and interesting experiment and I will be doing more of these in the future. You can see in the picture where I will have to go back and fix a little of the black around the teeth but that will have to wait. I plan to use this in a future project but I haven’t made my mind up as to what is will become.Until then, thanks to everyone who...
Hello, it’s been awhile since I’ve had a chance to work on this one. Tonight I carved out the white of eye and the teeth. Everything went great until I went in with my knife to clean up the teeth and make the points sharp. I have made a new discovery that I never thought about before. It seems that when the epoxy hardens with the graphite from the pencil lead it becomes very hard, but very brittle. With the paint it is a little more flexible. I managed to chip it around a ...
I will start off to day with my samples, this first one is just white glitter and epoxy. It didn’t work out as well as I would have liked. You can see that the coloring is not even. I am pretty sure I mixed it well so I don’t know what caused this, but it’s not something I want in the final project. In the next sample I painted the bottom and sides of my void first, let the paint dry and then filled it with a glitter and epoxy mix. I like the way this one looks and wi...
My epoxy samples have had time to fully cure. I am not really surprised by the findings. Here they are: First I took a chisel just to test the epoxy. The pencil and glitter where very hard and chipped away. The alcohol was rubbery when I put chisel to it. Next you will see them after I sanded with 80 grit on my ROS. As the chisel test suggested the pencil and glitter sanded up perfectly. The alcohol test was soft, rubbery, gummy. It was worse than the acrylic paint. Now I di...
When I left you last time I had created a big problem by putting to much paint in my epoxy mix. Now I get to scrape it all out. Since it is still gummy I figured it would just clog up the bit on my dremel so I did it the old fashion way. I a have also included a couple of samples I am working on so I hopefully avoid further problems. This first picture shows the tools I have assembled for the job. Just a knife and a couple of chisels. Here is the chisel that did most of the work. I...
I left you last episode with this After that picture was taken I had a little art time with my son. We sat at the kitchen table, he had out his crayons and paper, I had my face and chip carving knife. As he drew, I cleaned up the edges and corners. I then mixed green glitter and black paint into my epoxy. This is where I created a little problem for myself. I knew I over did it on the paint but I went ahead and used it anyway. Pressing my luck I guess. I ended up with a couple of sp...
Welcome back, I got the eye sanded down and it looks pretty cool except for the air bubbles. I knew I couldn’t get through without a few big ones. I rushed a little to much when I applied the epoxy. I will take care of it later.It will probably get filled in with another color but if I don’t like it I will just carve it out again. So while me and my family were out running around today we went by one of the big box office supply stores and I finally picked up some carbon pa...
That was quick. I had a little spot that was a different color than everything else so I went ahead and got it out of the way. I started by cutting parts of the eye out so I could mark the eye onto the wood/epoxy. The part of the eye with the paper in place will be the part I carve out. Then I drew it in using a pencil and the stencil I had just made Next I hooked the flex shaft to the dremel and started carving. I used this big bit to start, then put a much smaller one on. I nee...
Here is what I woke up to. You can clearly see where I cooked it a little to much in the red. You can also see where I tried to pop a bubble on the green. Luckily it is over the wood that will become the horn. I grab my trusty new bosch random orbital sander, which I love, throw on a slightly used piece of 80 grit. It was a piece I used for the sculpted box on my other blog, the edge was ate up but the flat of the disc hadn’t been touched. And I got nowhere. It seems I have abou...
I will start by apologizing for taking so long to get this up.Second I will explain my color test. The alcohol based ink is by printworks and is called re-inker. It’s made to refill ink pads for rubber stamps. I know that I said I would post pictures of the test, but I am ashamed to say that I didn’t even think about pictures while I was making my test. I will say that the test worked but I didn’t use them. The colors where not what I was looking for. The red, had to ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries