I’ve been working on a live edge Bubinga bar which is now finished. I came across a little bit of footage of the third piece of live edge Bubinga I had to apply and epoxy bar top finish to. I used System Three – Mirror Coat I first sealed the wood with my poly/oil mix and let dry for about a week before the epoxy application. Mix, Pour, Spread, Torch and wait…..... Thanks all for watching hope you enjoy, any questions or comments please post! http://www.youtube.c...
Days when I do stuff like this I move a whole lot more carefully and really plan out any work with sharp spinny bits. Once I remedied the goof I managed to finish my mast step. A buddy of mine came over after work to check out the progress on 816 and of course we talked about all manner of sailing things. Phil had some really good advice about strengthening my mast/locker bulkhead and not add too much weight. We also had a really good discussion about rigging 816, and I think he ...
I couldn’t find any brushes and I don’t like shopping on Sunday so I thought instead of painting I’d just work on the mast mount. Now I’d initially had this really complicated mount in my head (a dark and scary place at the best of times:-) but after a bit of advice, from shipwright, on how strong the step would need to be I simplified my plan. So I squared up a piece of Douglas Fir I think I got from my Dad before evening leaving the College, so its a well t...
It has been a hectic week here. Last weekend I drove over 1500 km round trip to attend my cousin’s 40th wedding anniversary, then my mother came for a visit for a couple of days, Wednesday was family day Thursday was cold raining but I managed to do a bit on hull 816, Friday was mostly taken up with paperwork…a 24 page report on my holidays! Saturday I got back into the shop finished epoxying the tops of the bouyancy tanks and the bottom, the bow and stern. This is where I lef...
As I closed in the bouyancy tanks I wasn’t really happy with the fit of the lid. I’d allowed a little wiggle room in the width of the top to line everything up nicely (I’m learning not to just rely on measuring:-) so I’d expected some over lap. The funny part is when I got things nailed down the overlap wasn’t all on one side. One the starboard side I’d nailed the inboard bulkhead first for the whole length and then pushed and pulled to fit the top to th...
Well this is the last view inside the tanks as they are now sealed. I will flip it over tomorrow and epoxy the hull, bow and transom and then its ready to float. It is a bit heavier than I thought so I am going to have to rig up some kind of ramp to get it on my roof rack. I may yet be forced into buying a small trailer. This is how I left hull 816 this evening. After the hull is coated I will tape and seal the tops of the tanks but I am just about out of epoxy so I want to get...
So I am having a pretty lazy morning and while I got up early thus morning I kinda just puttered the morning away (looking at potential boat plans can consume a lot of time:-) . I finally got out to the shop, the coffee pot was empty anyway, and decided to fillet the lower starboard joint and then while hull 816 was on its side I coated the interior of both bouyancy tanks and anything else that was horizontal in this orientation. On Paul’s (shipwright) suggestion I wetted out the fabr...
Lesson number one today: Scissors on the right—happy healthy normal pair of scissors Scissors on the right (EDIT: oops this should read ‘on the left’)—when you forget to wipe the epoxy off when you open your puke mouse or trim wet excess cloth…not at all happy pair of scissors. I bust out laughing at this new lesson when I picked them up and try to cut my tape to length:-) I’ve been making pretty good progress today. Its only noon and I’...
Today was a pretty productive day. I spent about 4 hours epoxying the joints and sides. The puke mouse Paul (shipwright) describes in his blog worked exactly as advertised. My technique requires some refinement but it sure did a tidy and quick job of laying down a fillet. I watched Sam Devlin’s primer on stitch and glue and he shows the filletting going between the stitches. I now see why. I broke 2 or 3 getting the stitches out. I will have to try the suggested heating of the wi...
Maybe the beginning of a larger project #14: You would think "Don't get any on you" would be an easy bit of advice to follow...
Well I got out to the shop and dived in with both feet:-) This is the supplies I bought last Saturday plus my version of the shipwright recommended stirring and application tool. This tool worked extremely well. I’ve not done any filletting yet so I haven’t put it through all its paces yet. Being mindful of the sponge like nature the ends of the plywood I am ensuring I spend a bit of time giving the edges a pretty thorough coat of epoxy. I even wedged in a few splinters...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1265 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 75 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1287 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 370 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 257 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Rustic - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 161 entries
- stefang - 148 entries