[Above] This was my last log of elm in which I hoped to find some more spalted wood. The first thing I did was to grab my Australian Bowie knife and strip off the bark. It came off very easily as the log (2 feet long, 4 inch diameter ) had been sitting on the ground under leaves for several years. [Above] Then I put the log in its most stable position on its side and attached a 1×4 to each flank, making sure it was fairly stable and trying to have the boards parallel to the b...
I had two elm logs left that I pulled off the bank on the side of my house. They are both about 2 feet long. One of them I cut up tonight and I was happily surprised. I tried a different technique this time which I’ll cover when I break down the other log. I am very happy with the yield. Each slice is about 1/2 inch thick and the narrowest is just under 2 inches. The others are about 2-1/2 in. The log was about 4 in. in diameter.
[EDIT] I mistakenly used the word burl when I meant spalted. I’ve since corrected the rest of this post. During the last few days I’ve been pruning a few trees that grow close to our house. This led me to ask about a certain tree. I’ve since discovered that the wood that I thought might be pear is actually elm. This is all good. I’ve cut a few of the larger pieces of my prunings to use when the day comes that I play with wood turning again. More importantly is...
The other day i found what looked a lot similar to a Milkmans Workbench on a local used-items-site for sale for about 20€. The lady that had it for sale knew nothing at all about its origin but wrote her immediately and had it mailed to me. Having seen a lot of these built here on LJ i thought that I would share my findings and how it was brougt back to life. Hope it is usefull. A few days back it arrived and, i must admit, looking a bit beat up. But it turned out to be an actual Milkma...
I’m pretty sure this wood is from the trunk of a small pear tree I took down a few years ago. ([EDIT] It’s elm burl!) I cut off another hunk of it this spring and re-sawed it into 3 mini slabs with my band saw. Then I ran them through my thickness planer to get them to a uniform approximate 3/8 inch. The length is about 17 inches, but I’ll need to remove about 2 inches from each end because of the planer snipe. I want to make something from this wood. The question is ...
Working with reclaimed wood can be very rewarding once the final product comes together. Unless you are purchasing it from someone who has already pulled the nails and cleaned the surface be prepared to put some effort into preparing it for projects. Collecting and preparing the raw materials often requires a lot of hard work. Having worked with a lot of reclaimed wood over the past several years more and more projects are demanding it especially since completing a barn tear down over the pas...
While I have been catching up on this past years projects, here’s a blog post about a little one I just finished today… http://dcwwoodworks.com/blog/2015/1/21/walnut-elm-and-cork-coaster-set
Last time we ended here:In the mean time i have been busy researching on methods of weaving seats. Lots of designs to consider.. But first we need to finish the chair it self.Last time i just eyeballed the angle on the flat parts of the top of the back legs. Here i´m trying to get the angle right to make a jig for greater presizion and repeatability.Its simple but it works- both on the inside and outside.Trying to get the angle right for the holes in the back restAnd drilling the morticesThis...
Summer is over and work, my business and life in gerneral have taken almost all my time. And my chair project have slowed down considerable. But in shorter periods i have had time in the workshop and done as much as possible. This is a compilation of 6 weeks: Last time we left about here: This looked cool but i was not totally satisfied. Things i wanted to improve was:- The back rest. It is too low and somehow just not´right´ - The general feel of the chair. Is it a little too static?-...
Feeling that a lot of uncertainties have been cleared away in my last post it is now time to take on the most challenging part of the project: shaping the back rest. This is where tings are getting a bit complicated. Shapes in 3d is difficult to visualize and shaping takes a long time. Having done a series of sketches i had a semi vague idea where i wanted to end:In order to work fast i decided to start using mdf for the first tests. Shaping in a combination of freehand and using divide...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries