I can not tell the name brand of this saw I am working on. It does not have a disston name on it anywhere. Maybe a Vermont American or something. But here is before & after pix of electrolysis and ROS with WD40. In the middle of my saw vice but had to call it quits for the day. Should finish the saw vice tomorrow.
I am hoping to REALLY start my hand tool cabinet as my next project. Before I do, I have work to be done. First up, refurbishing tools that will be used to make the tool cabinet. I’ll try to use the hand tools as a primary. Saying that, hand saws will be used. Here is my current collection I have acquired: ———————-The 3 Veritas saws (dovetail, tenons) are good to go. The Stanley, Disston, and Japanese saws need help.Lots of rust on the ...
(Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for anything done with this information, proceed at your own risk.) I like to etch my logo onto plane blades using toner transfer and salt water electrolysis. This technique is commonly used by knife makers to put a makers mark on their blades, and is pretty simple to do. I start by making a logo in a program called Inkscape. This makes a “vector” image that can be scaled to whatever size I want without becoming blurry. I then invert ...
I have about 10 saws that I’ve collected over about 5 months. As well as a few planes, and other tools. I was getting tired of sanding the rust off, and wanted to find a way to do a few things at once. I had a 12v battery charger in my garage, a few tubs to put water in, and some spare steel for the sacrificial anode. Where I am, the local stores don’t seem to carry “Washing Soda” so I had to find an alternative to Sodium Bicarbonate. I found a product that wa...
A lot of folks use electrolysis for rust removal, which works great and if you are going to do a lot of rust removal, I recommend it. I don’t do a lot of it, and find Evapo-Rust works spectacularly to clean up even pitted parts. The product is reusable, so a gallon jug lasts quite a while. I have some different sized plastic containers depending on the size of parts, and completely submerge the parts. I cover the container to limit evaporation (Saran Wrap works great if you don’t have a lid)....
Well hello again! This is part 3 in my jointer plane restoration. When we last spoke, I had done the electrolysis process on the body and frog, as well as the smaller parts such as the cap lever, iron, and chip breaker. I also need to mention that the frog that came with the plane was broken off so as not to include the top part or the lateral adjusting lever. Ebay came through with a new one. If I may plug one of my favorite sellers, NHPlaneParts is the man. Granted I am in MA, so th...
So after a quick spritz with some PB (one of my personal favorites), the plane came right apart. My wife’s only complaint with PB is the smell, so I do it outside rather than in the basement. On the downside, I don’t hallucinate anymore from the fumes. Here are some pictures of individual pieces: You’ll note that the newspaper underneath is a high school newspaper. It’s because I am a high school teacher, and I don’t subscribe to any lo...
First blog entry on LJs. I have restored two other planes before this one (both Bailey No. 5s… one for use as a jack, one for use as a scrub), but this one will definitely be the best documented. Here goes. FYI I am done with this restoration and will be adding entries in chronological order as time permits. Truthfully, I’ll try to sneak in an entry between entertaining my 7-month-old. While browsing the Craiger, I came across a sale for a bunch of stuff (none of which I ne...
I have not been good about taking interim pics, here’s the number 6 after electrolysis and a lot of cleaning… she is one good looking plane! since most of the japaning was lost to time, scrubbing and electrolysis, i’m going to eventually sandblast and refinish for now the sole needs to be lapped, the sides brought to 90 degrees, and I’ve got a veritas blade and chip breaker on order (I almost went with the IBC/Crosman but for the 50% premium over lee valley...
Yet another Handplane Restoration blog #2: FINALLY! a use for a buck bros plane... electrolysis on #6
and I thought my POS Buck Brothers plane was worthless… NOPE! it’s an awesome anode! evaporust was not as wonderful as i’d hoped (probably not enough prep by me); trying electrolysis. i think i read that this should be done at 6 amps, my choices are 2 (trickle) and 10 (fast) so i’m going with 2. might take longer, but what the heck…
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries