I have been building simple outdoor furniture out of pallets and salvage lumber. Sold dozens of pieces on Etsy, Craigslist, and my front yard. So I got a bigger, badder table saw off CL. The first time I ran it (in my shop), I had to put on my hearing protection right away – the high-pitched whine was unbearable! It wasn’t long before it started to try and seize, causing the breaker to trip, and the lights to flicker. So I thought I would just use my little contractor saw, also a ...
Last update I had given up on the lathe stand and moved everything to the workbench but I still didn’t have a good system for variable speed. Well, no more cone pulleys, countershafts, or underpowered AC motors… I bought an old treadmill with a 1 HP DC motor and hooked it up. The block of ipe you see on the lathe was the breaking point. The 1/3 HP motor would just turn it and once I laid tool to wood, everything would slow to a crawl. That prompted me to go find a proper moto...
I STILL dont think I’ve got this whole multi-part blog thingy figured out yet. So here I am trying to see if I can actually make a “part 2” ... which should actually be part 3 or 4. Anyhooo…. I did manage to finally build my shop made disc sander. YEA ME! On the first attempt I was using a like-new Baldor 110v / 1725rpm motor but unfortunately I realized it was less than a quarter-horsepower, so it was WAAAY underpowered. In just trying to sand the edge of the ...
Well, today I did get to come home at lunch and dust out the motor, and let me tell you, it looked 40 years younger when I did. The windings were actually nice and shiny underneath the layers of old sawdust….. With that out of the way, I was able to move on. I pressed the new bearings onto the arbor using a deep socket and rubber mallet to tap them into place. With that out of the way I put things back together in the manner I dis-assembled them. Since, I didn’t make no...
I was never under any delusion that having my own woodworking business would be all fun, just making stuff from wood. All in all, it’s been about 50% of it at best so far. That’s another discussion though, esp. since I am still fully adjusting. So I finally had a significant machine failure. I was feeding a piece of maple through the planer and it slowed part way through, like it was turned off mid-feed, except that it wasn’t consistent. There was nothing unusual about th...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1832 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Shop stuff - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1857 entries
- dbhost - 455 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 277 entries
- robscastle - 267 entries
- shipwright - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 241 entries
- bandit571 - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries