I retired from the UK Police in 2006 after 30 years, and I think I only survived that period of time, because of my love of woodwork, I class myself as a late starter, I used to tinker with bits and pieces, but it wasn’t until I was 21 and my first Father-in-law who was a Chippy, gave me lessons and a few tools, that I decided that woodwork was definitely the hobby for me. In July 2006 I left the Police, and immediately moved to Spain, where I had had property for a number of years, ...
One of Charlene’s friends from a college years ago has two kids who’ve recently graduated from high school. The elder dived into travelling around Europe and heading off to college on the other coast and generally diving into life. The younger, Daniel, is an Eagle Scout, but post high-school has been casting around trying to figure out what he wants to do. He’s been feeling stuck in a small town up in the Sierra foothills, and we’ve dragged him down to closer to the co...
This project has a huge mix of frustration and reward because I’m trying to be a facilitator and enable Daniel to build the guitar. It’s way too ambitious a project to simply be a teacher for, to walk him through the steps of every tool set-up and every element of design (especially when I’m learning much of this myself), and yet it’s not my guitar. So I try to encourage him to set up and do a design or a cut by himself, and then take a deep breath and accept the outco...
Daniel came back for another visit and said “yeah, it sounds really off at the 12th fret”. With visions of “oh, crap, we have to mill off that fret and move it” we started playing with things, and discovered that the bridge was in the wrong place. The bridge had individually adjustable string positions, so we moved them, and got a sound that was okay, but the bridge was also really too high. So I chucked it up in the milling machine, milled it down a bit, then t...
...takes 90% of the time. The remaining 10% of the project takes an additional 90% of the time. So it feels like we’re closing in, but finishing and hardware installation are still going to take a little while. Sunday morning Daniel was off partying with friends in San Francisco. I went out to the shop and did a bunch of shaping, and then Charlene and I went over to Tall Toad Music and, with the help of the very friendly staff there, dug through the basement ‘til we found ...
Late last year, the boys at the local hardware sent a young bloke over to buy some timber so he could build a Guitar… Electric Bass that is… It even has a name CHERRY DEMON….cool hey And so does he… Johnathan… He had never built one but was going to give it a try… Today we finally got together to build it… you got it… He and I are going to build our first electric bass guitar.. together…. Found a nice piece of Hoop Pine...
As you will see from the following pics the back of the body of the guitar blank has been scarfed out with the bandsaw.. this is for comfort when the guitar is tilted out from the guitarist When played the contour would be at the back of the guitar and to the top… I know I am preaching to the choir but some of my readers are even less knowledgeable than me… Using a ROS and 80 grit the contour is smoothed and shaped for comfort… Sanding willcontinue through to 220 grit....
Daniel’s missing his friends and wants to head home, so while I’m trying to get him to slow down and take his time on the finishing, I’m aware that he wants to ditch us and head for the hills. The finish is still a bit soft, and if it were up to me we’d spend another week adding a layer, sanding it off, adding a layer, and so forth, but we’re not there. So last night we installed the frets, the nuts for the bridge hardware, and the tuning machines. Ho...
Daniel wanted to get back to his friends pretty badly, so last night we got the electronics installed (with some pain), and broke a string stringing it up, and there’s a lot of tweaking left to be done, but it was playable: Need to lower the bridge, file the edges of the frets a little better, verify that we’ve got the electronics properly installed because the volume knob was doing less than we expected, and spend some time tuning, tweaking the bridge head position and ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1792 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 115 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1817 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries