Yesterday I got a little bit side tracked. Not really too far off the path I was heading, but just enough to change gears for a day and try something new. So it was for a good cause. I often receive many comments from people that I call ‘regulars’ here on the Lumberjock site. Even though this site is quite large at over 50,000 members, as with any place, we seem to fall into a niche or corner of the site where we feel accepted and comfortable. I am not different, as when I wr...
3 Strings CBG (cigar box guitar) #6: This cigar box guitar is done but I think the journey just began!
Hi there guys, I had another long weekend (revolution day over here) so I managed to finish my first cgb, whee! So, first I did the last polycrylic coat(satin) and wet sanded with 1200 grit, the plan was to do some polish to the finish… but it turns out that, when wet sanding this finish it looks and feels just like the necks in 3 of my factory made guitars – natural matte look, and smooth to the touch- which I love a lot so no polish needed!, and that means a lot less elbow gr...
Hi there, this weekend another project got my attention for a couple of hours so I guess I’ll need another weekend to finish the guitar. So, I could only glue the fingerboard to the neck and apply the first hand of polycrylic finish but I’m almost at the end of the project, yeah! Getting ready for the fingerboard gluing: This time I went with yellow glue to have more time to set the clamps, it worked as expected An hour later, after cleaning some glue run-outs the neck...
Hi again, this weekend was slow because all the fingerboard work, let’s see: Slots for the fret line position inlays ready, made by hand with a hacksaw going really slow to avoid any mistakes. It may be a couple a little bit bad, but noting too obvious :) All the maple inlays ready to be glued and trimmed Inlays closeup Fitting each inlay Inlays done! And now side dots, made with flux core solder, drill each hole, fill it with a small length of solder, melt it with a s...
Hi everyone, finally I come back with a blog for a little project I been doing in my free time for the last 2 weeks. As it was bound to happen I think, having been a professional musician for nearly 20 years and now interested in woodworking as a hobby among some other things, finally bit the bullet and started building a CBG (cigar box guitar), and this is the short story, short because there really is not too much to tell as the build can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be....
Yesterday turned out to be a good and productive day. I not only finished up my ornament set, but I also finished the drawings for the next project that I will be offering. I really liked working on these. After the large production order, it was a welcome change to do something that was so detailed and precise. It was a good exercise for my mind. I have decided to incorporate the birdcage into a design of a small plaque that I will be offering free on my site. I like to offer a fr...
The Greene brothers used ebony extensively in their furniture and architectural pieces and that use has become a trademark of their woodworking designs. I wanted to try to stay true to their designs and use actual ebony plugs in the Greene and Greene style clocks I am building. I was not impressed with the shouldered plug design the plans called for and wanted true pillowed ebony plugs in my clocks. Pricing Ebony, I decided that I would have to come up with some other method of getting my plu...
The base has been assembled now for about a week. But what’s taken time has been new discussion on the finish. After long planning to do an Arm-R-Seal or similar, my wife decided she wanted to keep the wood as light as possible. Since the oil would take it to an amber color, that meant either shellac, lacquer or water-borne acrylic/polyurethane. After some samples were compared, we decided to go with General Finishes’ High Performance. It seemed to keep the closest c...
The bow tie layout for the outside of the apron is done. I also laid out for dovetail keys in the corner of the table top and cut the ebony to be used for the inlay. I used a router with a 1/8” bit to hog out the bulk. The lighting in my shop is ok, but not ideal. I used this cap from Lowes with LED lights in the bill to give me almost “line-of-sight” lighting to the router bit. I switched to a 1/16” bit to get as much of the corners as I could, then clea...
I started out with a bunch of sycamore. It’s been sitting in my garage now for a year. I finally started to make use of it. A sample with one end shellac, one end Arm-R-Seal My wife is in need of a desk, but we wanted something simple. She said she didn’t even want a drawer. So we measured, and started on a couple boards. The boards had some twist. I spent a lot of time getting that out. I tried ripping one board on the bandsaw, then jointing one of the rips. I...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries