Last time I posted I had glued down the boxes bodies with the inside already french polished I worked on gluing the marquetry panels to the trimmed to size lid My favorite moment is when you see it glued down right way up for the first time, it appears slowly while you remove the paper This glueing of the marquetry on both side had to be precise has they had to be perfectly centered as well as the right way up as when you open the box the owner will appreciate to g...
Redoing little parts of our house, we decided to do an ebony stained wooden counter top. After removing the counter, the pieces were cut individually. They were all glued on. A 1 1/2”x3/4” piece of pine was nailed to the front edge of the counter to give it a thicker look. Stain was then applied after some sanding and filling in any gaps or holes. When the stain was dried approximately 6 coats of poly were applied and let cured before anything was placed on top. View on YouTube
It’s been a while since I’ve updated with progress, so here’s a minor update. The last couple of weeks have been spent finessing the cabinet with tons of sanding and re-waxing. Everything is going wonderfully on that side of things as long as we ignore the tired aching hands! The last couple of weekends have been spent doing the Tiffany-type glasswork. We chose a Verrerie de Saint-Just clear textured glass (which we believe is now discontinued) complimented by a relativel...
This Thorsen House cabinet repro is probably the third large-scale Greene & Greene project I’ve worked on in addition to numerous smaller lighting items. Common to the lot of them are masses of Ebony splines and plugs. Lots of information exists on people’s own ideas of how to pillow, round, shape, soften and relieve simple square plugs. Probably the most common that I’ve come across is William Ng’s tactic of chucking up a squared and thicknessed stick and pillo...
Relatively slow progress this week as I’m juggling many things. I was unhappy with the weighting of the first set of muntins, plus I made a simple error. Nothing amazing, but it was enough to convince me to pull the muntins and start afresh. Incidentally, the muntins were surprisingly strong in situ. One never gets much opportunity to test joinery to destruction in a real-world setting so it’s reassuring to know how much integrity exists within the work we do. In addition to th...
Apologies for mangling French irretrievably there just to force out a pun…. The doors presented a few logistical challenges. Surprisingly, the internal rebate angles were the least of these. The largest challenge was in the form of how best to clamp the main outer frame whilst gluing. The frame comprises morticed hinge and lock stiles with two tenoned upper/lower rails. (the mortice and tenon sizes increased in height which the drawing does not indicate) Prior to any shapin...
Not a huge amount to add today I’m afraid. The main carcase of the cabinet has had its medium sanding completed (up to 240 grit) and the first guide layer of wax added. I’m genuinely not sure whether this is a valid or efficient method of using wax (it certainly uses up a lot of it) however it produces far superior results than those from the instructions or other methods I’ve picked up. My waxing procedure is to start early. Once all the glueup and sanding that alters fo...
I have been carry on working on the boxes with a 2 weeks pause for our february teaching session at the American School of French Marquetry. Great class, here are some pictures More here Anyway. Before the class started I had to finish the inside of the boxes with French Polish, before the room was taken over by the students. There is different way of holding the pieces with nails bent in places Or with small wood blocks I like to have it lay out...
In part 1 of this project series I introduced the project and explained the inlay process on the front (or top?) of the music tray. In my excitement to make my first blog post I completely forgot about the mechanism on the back side of the tray that connects it to the center post and allows the tray angle to be adjusted. Today’s post will be about the mechanism I used to allow for angle adjustment. The third and final post will explain my process for building the center post and feet...
Hi Everyone, This is my first blog entry. I’ve never done this before so be patient with me as I learn the ropes. :-) I’m writing this to compliment the project posting I am going to be putting up for a music stand I made for Broadway Barks. It’s an animal rescue charity that was started about 15 years ago by Bernadette Peters and Mary Tyler Moore. A woodworking friend of mine volunteers for the charity and encouraged me to make something for the auction. The idea was to make somet...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1582 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1607 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries