Today I’ll be staining some maple. The customer want a cherry finish. Not a new cherry wood look, but the old antique look with years patina. More like the stuff you’d find on the a showroom floor call “cherry finish”. As most of you know, maple doesn’t absorb stain very good, so to achieve a dark, rich finish is impossible with stain only. Several years ago, I standardize this finish for my customers and make to sample piece with the steps that need to be...
To all who have asked about the red & black quilted maple on my Pagoda Jewelry box.I think that in this case ignorance is bliss. After I worked out a recipe that I liked I read on other sites that I had done it all wrong! Oh well, I like the results.Here is my formula:½ bottle ( yep, half a bottle) of TransTint black in ¾ cup of distilled water.Saturate a rag and wipe onto the piece until you get a uniform deep black color.Let dry until no longer cool to the touch.Sand with 180 then 220 t...
I’ve heard that all learning is association. Well it is certainly true for me. I spent most of my shop time this weekend bouncing between research and experimentation. The more I experimented, the more the research made sense. And the more I researched, the better the experiments. I played around with shellac as a sealer coat, and sanding back various colors in various layers. If something didn’t look good I tried another color or tried to sand it off, or just turned the p...
A deep red mahogany finish doesn’t have to be the result of a complicated process. I’ll show you how I use a simple two-step method to revitalize my mother in law’s old beat up rocking char. First, a coat of General Finishes Merlot Water-Based Dye. Second, a coat of General Finishes Brown Mahogany Gel Stain. Its all finished off with a nice satin lacquer topcoat. Topics Covered: Application tips for water-based dyes Application tips for gel stains The co...
I decided to see if a glue joint would present an adequate barrier to dye. Thus enabling me to cut and glue a pattern in a light wood and dye only the section I want black. I cut a scrap of Sycamore, 3mm thick, length ways, re-glued it, width ways and re-glued it thus having made absolutely sure the glue covered every square millimetre of the joint faces. I then sanded both sides flat in the drum sander, along the grain, 150 grit. To get this You can see the joint lines, just...
Which Wax?I bought a new kind of wax by Howards based on a recommendation from a friend. It is called Walnut. I compared it to the Briwax (Dark Brown) which I have have used previously. The Briwax is much darker. The Howards smells like citrus and claims to provide u.v. protection. It does seem a little more gritty, but applies smoothly. Here is a shot with one base assembly (right) finished with the wax. The other is not (left) Booooooooooring.After finishing the base and the under...
I’ve been experimenting with spirit based wood dyes, as in the project ‘Any Colour You Like’. Mainly though I’ve been working with black. The long term aim is to see if I can substitute black dyed woods, such as Sycamore, for Ebony in my projects. Ebony is really expensive. I think this is mainly because of it’s overuse and therefore currently restricted supply. I use spirit based dye as this doesn’t raise wood grain in the same way water based dyes do. Thi...
For my workbench i needed a tall stool for more accurate work and just a place to rest. This is a descripition on how i made this project. Searching LJ i found these two fine projects:- Having a fascination with all-things-Japanense (having both worked in a sushi restaurant and done karate for several years) these Singer-songrwriters chairs by Junji impressed me.- This post on shop stools by shipwright described a interesting method for dying oak black with steel wool dissolved in wineg...
Sorry for the False Start Guys… I had the privacy setting turned on when I posted to YouTube. (D’oh!) It’s Finally Here! Whew! It takes a lot of work to shoot a video, edit, and get it posted to the internet. I am still struggling with posting to the internet. My HD file sizes are too big to be accepted by BlipTv and YouTube, and once I get the size down to an acceptable limit, they lose quite a bit of quality. This is a bit frustrating and makes me sad to see al...
A friend of mine has a cabinet shop with a spray booth and was nice enough to let me play in it. These photos were all taken in his shop. Here is one of the samples we tried on a test piece. This is aniline die dissolved in alcohol. WOW, I really like the color! We used his Festool sander for the final sanding. I had to stir the dye for over an hour. On goes the die: Sanding in between coats of sanding sealer and lacquer: Er...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries