I decided to see if a glue joint would present an adequate barrier to dye. Thus enabling me to cut and glue a pattern in a light wood and dye only the section I want black. I cut a scrap of Sycamore, 3mm thick, length ways, re-glued it, width ways and re-glued it thus having made absolutely sure the glue covered every square millimetre of the joint faces. I then sanded both sides flat in the drum sander, along the grain, 150 grit. To get this You can see the joint lines, just...
I’ve been experimenting with spirit based wood dyes, as in the project ‘Any Colour You Like’. Mainly though I’ve been working with black. The long term aim is to see if I can substitute black dyed woods, such as Sycamore, for Ebony in my projects. Ebony is really expensive. I think this is mainly because of it’s overuse and therefore currently restricted supply. I use spirit based dye as this doesn’t raise wood grain in the same way water based dyes do. Thi...
The board came out of glue-up OK...First thing to do, trim the excess off the bottom edge...Now the vertical rounded pillars. They were going to be Ebony but such was the dye success with the black that I decided to opt for dyed Sycamore. This is English Sycamore, which is a creamy white, not it’s American cousin...I cut the above wide enough to do both sides of a box corner and rounded both edges. Then dyed them up...The sun came out. For a moment I thought I wasn’t in England an...
I like Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon. This is amongst my favourites to play in the shop and out. The cover, for those of you who don’t know. is this...This has inspired me to get my design head on. So here’s a picture of the box I’ve been designing, over the last week or so...Designed using TurboCAD (no, NOT Sketchup), Size, approx’ 120mm corner to corner and 70mm high. A tall order. Is there any other kind. Its mostly black. I know of a black wood or two...
2/2/12 – Groundhog Day I really don’t like finishing. It seems every time I have a project glued up and ready for final finishing, I blow it with the stain and/or top coat. THIS TIME IS DIFFERENT(so far) First I added 6 coats of Transtint dye. (Left door) I’m a first-time dye-er so I used regular water as my solvent. I suppose I could have made a stronger dye mix and saved on the number of coats. Live and learn. The right door has one additional coat of Oly...
For about a year now, I’ve been interested in trying my hand at building a cabinet. This summer (2011) while moving things around in the laundry room we discovered the particleboard floor cabinet in this room was beginning to crumble. My answer… Make another from particle board!!! Sorry LJs. Its my first cabinet. I’m not going to shed the bucks for a sheet of 3/4” 11-ply baltic birch on my first attempt. However, I did want to work with prefinished sheet goo...
I’ve heard that all learning is association. Well it is certainly true for me. I spent most of my shop time this weekend bouncing between research and experimentation. The more I experimented, the more the research made sense. And the more I researched, the better the experiments. I played around with shellac as a sealer coat, and sanding back various colors in various layers. If something didn’t look good I tried another color or tried to sand it off, or just turned the p...
A little arts and crafts on a Sunday afternoon. I’ve been wanting to try my hand at dyeing and tinting for a while so in typical New California Workshop style I jumped right in. In this round I’m using TransTint dyes from Woodcraft mixed in water. You can see my calculations written on the paper. I diluted about a half an ounce of tint into about 16 ounces of water. I just used bottled water and spilled out a little to approximate 16 ounces. I made up some samples from tiger...
I build wood geared clocks and have been thinking about making the gears looks a little more metal like with maybe some bronze and copper powders in a stain. Has anyone done this before and how did it turn out? I do not want the gears to be bright metal colored just have a hint of aged bronze look to them. I found another clock maker in Russia but the translation is completely lost between responses. The video of his clock can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrF70MW7c1c It...
I just finished my drafting/desk and finally brought it into the house this evening. This was a great project to make and there were two new techniques I used on this project, so I learned a lot. As part of the design for this desk I decided that I wanted a slight taper and curve to the legs and I wanted a deep red Mahogany color. After making a template for the legs I contemplated how to cut each leg out, the fastest way would have been to either use a flush trim bit with a router agains...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries