I build wood geared clocks and have been thinking about making the gears looks a little more metal like with maybe some bronze and copper powders in a stain. Has anyone done this before and how did it turn out? I do not want the gears to be bright metal colored just have a hint of aged bronze look to them. I found another clock maker in Russia but the translation is completely lost between responses. The video of his clock can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrF70MW7c1c It...
As many of you have seen I do dye on wood. I use the Trans tint dye from Woodcraft. I dye many burl pieces as it helps to bring out the character of the wood. There are many ways to apply dye but I like to put it on right out of the bottle. The first coat is the base coat and it goes on rather strong, out of the bottle. I will let it dry and then go back and sand the entire surface with 400 grit. In doing so I will sand back certain areas almost back to the wood. These will be the ar...
A little arts and crafts on a Sunday afternoon. I’ve been wanting to try my hand at dyeing and tinting for a while so in typical New California Workshop style I jumped right in. In this round I’m using TransTint dyes from Woodcraft mixed in water. You can see my calculations written on the paper. I diluted about a half an ounce of tint into about 16 ounces of water. I just used bottled water and spilled out a little to approximate 16 ounces. I made up some samples from tiger...
To all who have asked about the red & black quilted maple on my Pagoda Jewelry box.I think that in this case ignorance is bliss. After I worked out a recipe that I liked I read on other sites that I had done it all wrong! Oh well, I like the results.Here is my formula:½ bottle ( yep, half a bottle) of TransTint black in ¾ cup of distilled water.Saturate a rag and wipe onto the piece until you get a uniform deep black color.Let dry until no longer cool to the touch.Sand with 180 then 220 t...
Shellacin’I cleaned up 90% shop dust by vac and broom and then run the overhead air filter for a bit before finishing. I protected the workbench with plastic. The panels are raised up on scrap sticks. You can see a bottle of Transtint (Dark mission brown) in the foreground. I add denatured alcohol to a container and then add the shellac to the consistency of a 1lb or so cut. Very thin. I am padding on the shellac with a clean t-shirt scrap wrapped around another scrap. I also ...
2/2/12 – Groundhog Day I really don’t like finishing. It seems every time I have a project glued up and ready for final finishing, I blow it with the stain and/or top coat. THIS TIME IS DIFFERENT(so far) First I added 6 coats of Transtint dye. (Left door) I’m a first-time dye-er so I used regular water as my solvent. I suppose I could have made a stronger dye mix and saved on the number of coats. Live and learn. The right door has one additional coat of Oly...
well here it is, my first attempt at a dye job. As you can see, the dying process mostly worked, but not 100%. I’m not really sure I like the color selection anyway, but it would have been better if each piece of dyed maple had dyed completely. I wonder now if using a pressure pot is the only way to ensure that each piece gets 100% color saturation… time and testing will tell I suppose. here’s a detail shot of the piece. Any feedback, suggestions & insights woul...
For our best pieces, we use sawn veneer. It is usually 10 time as expensive as sliced, but it is a better quality product. When the veneer is sliced, it is often steamed or heated and the shearing of the knife damage the structure of the wood. When the veneer is sawn, it is just like solid wood, just thinner. Patrick Edwards did a good blog entry on sawn veneer with a video of one of the last veneer sawing comapny, near Paris, Georges et Fils. To read the article it is here. An...
I’ve heard that all learning is association. Well it is certainly true for me. I spent most of my shop time this weekend bouncing between research and experimentation. The more I experimented, the more the research made sense. And the more I researched, the better the experiments. I played around with shellac as a sealer coat, and sanding back various colors in various layers. If something didn’t look good I tried another color or tried to sand it off, or just turned the p...
For about a year now, I’ve been interested in trying my hand at building a cabinet. This summer (2011) while moving things around in the laundry room we discovered the particleboard floor cabinet in this room was beginning to crumble. My answer… Make another from particle board!!! Sorry LJs. Its my first cabinet. I’m not going to shed the bucks for a sheet of 3/4” 11-ply baltic birch on my first attempt. However, I did want to work with prefinished sheet goo...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1190 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1212 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries