Sorry for the False Start Guys… I had the privacy setting turned on when I posted to YouTube. (D’oh!) It’s Finally Here! Whew! It takes a lot of work to shoot a video, edit, and get it posted to the internet. I am still struggling with posting to the internet. My HD file sizes are too big to be accepted by BlipTv and YouTube, and once I get the size down to an acceptable limit, they lose quite a bit of quality. This is a bit frustrating and makes me sad to see al...
Exciting Progress.. I am making some great progress on my closet project. I currently have the copper rods in a machine shop where the parts are being fabricated. The clients and I had talked about changing the lights to better illuminate the fine work that I have produced. While the metal work is being done I decided to go ahead and install the new lights. WOW! Man-OH-Man! Does it ever look fantastic! Here is the closet with the old lights: Here is the closet with the n...
Finished! Well it’s been a long journey and it did not end without one extra push. I finished installing the copper handles Monday by 11:30. There was a couple of scratches but I was certain I could buff them out. This is a skill that goes with the territory. I worked on the finish for the next six hours and I could not get the finish to blend. How to Remove a Scratch- After exhausting all other options this is what I resorted to today: Yes you are seeing it correctly...
A friend of mine has a cabinet shop with a spray booth and was nice enough to let me play in it. These photos were all taken in his shop. Here is one of the samples we tried on a test piece. This is aniline die dissolved in alcohol. WOW, I really like the color! We used his Festool sander for the final sanding. I had to stir the dye for over an hour. On goes the die: Sanding in between coats of sanding sealer and lacquer: Er...
For those who follow this thread, you know we have been struggling on dying bone. We may have found the solution, at least one of them. Here is a test piece that seems to be dyed all the way through To help the dye to penetrate all the way through the bone I decided to dye the pieces already cut. I had my papers already prepared from the start waiting for the solution The intended green bone pieces were highlighted in green (of course) on the drawing. I cut ...
Getting Closer… Well guys I can hardly stand it! I am getting so close to done on this project and yet there is so much to do. I just want to go home and be with my wife and my dogs so bad. This job has been a nail biter every step of the way. The more I get done, the more work I have at risk if I should screw up. A mistake could cost the equivalent of a good used car – NO KIDDING. If you want to do high-end work, the risk is high too. That is one factor most don’t...
Another Milestone I am pretty excited to share with you guys today’s progress. I got all of the handle pieces finished! Next I have some touch up on the doors and the final install. I am sure I will have a full day of technical sweating. I had to brush the pieces again on the wire wheel to brighten the finish. I then hung them from the ceiling and wiped them down thoroughly with acetone. This strips any oil from the surface. I sprayed them with an acrylic resin lacquer by Sh...
Share the Love This modern sofa table was built for donation to a charity fundraising auction. This slideshow was played to generate more interest in the table by highlighting the construction process. Generating more interest generates more money for the charity. The auction was a bit disappointing overall, but my table brought in the more money than anything else. Funds raised at the auction help support programs for people with developmental disabilities. The winning bidder ask...
The board came out of glue-up OK...First thing to do, trim the excess off the bottom edge...Now the vertical rounded pillars. They were going to be Ebony but such was the dye success with the black that I decided to opt for dyed Sycamore. This is English Sycamore, which is a creamy white, not it’s American cousin...I cut the above wide enough to do both sides of a box corner and rounded both edges. Then dyed them up...The sun came out. For a moment I thought I wasn’t in England an...
Success- I installed the big door today with a helping hand. The careful planning paid big dividends in an incredibly smooth and accurate install. Before doing the veneer work, I installed and fitted the doors. The doors were then taken to the shop and finished. The hinges were numbered and went back into the same locations. This meant that the final install required no additional adjustment. This is what I call jobsite theory, and it worked out this time. Getting a handle on it&...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries