Part of a current project that turned out better than expected. Months back I took some padauk scraps and soaked them in lacquer thinner to make a dye, this is the first time I’ve used it. This picture didn’t turn out well but the color is a nice reddish-orange and completely transparent. Scroll down to see a short video.
For my workbench i needed a tall stool for more accurate work and just a place to rest. This is a descripition on how i made this project. Searching LJ i found these two fine projects:- Having a fascination with all-things-Japanense (having both worked in a sushi restaurant and done karate for several years) these Singer-songrwriters chairs by Junji impressed me.- This post on shop stools by shipwright described a interesting method for dying oak black with steel wool dissolved in wineg...
For our best pieces, we use sawn veneer. It is usually 10 time as expensive as sliced, but it is a better quality product. When the veneer is sliced, it is often steamed or heated and the shearing of the knife damage the structure of the wood. When the veneer is sawn, it is just like solid wood, just thinner. Patrick Edwards did a good blog entry on sawn veneer with a video of one of the last veneer sawing comapny, near Paris, Georges et Fils. To read the article it is here. An...
As many of you have seen I do dye on wood. I use the Trans tint dye from Woodcraft. I dye many burl pieces as it helps to bring out the character of the wood. There are many ways to apply dye but I like to put it on right out of the bottle. The first coat is the base coat and it goes on rather strong, out of the bottle. I will let it dry and then go back and sand the entire surface with 400 grit. In doing so I will sand back certain areas almost back to the wood. These will be the ar...
Well, here it is almost 10 months since I’ve done any work on this project. It’s mostly because I was taking a night class in preparation for the Nursing program this fall, and on top of it, my Uncle has introduced me to fly fishing which has occupied almost all of my free time in the spring and summer so far. ...Since these panels are solid wood, to account for movement, I finished the panels before gluing the case up so that none of the panels will have unfinished edges during t...
When I made the wall hanging, Dance on a Volcano I considered at one point making it into an EZ Mitre box. I liked the pattern so much as it was that it stayed that way. I go past it on the Stairway to Devon, every day and it always makes me think of a box alternative. So I set about designing one, using TurboCAD to 3D model it. I came up with this. My initial thoughts were to make it in solid wood, much like the original using; Sycamore, Pau Amarello, Yew, Padauk, Purpleheart and Ebon...
I decided to see if a glue joint would present an adequate barrier to dye. Thus enabling me to cut and glue a pattern in a light wood and dye only the section I want black. I cut a scrap of Sycamore, 3mm thick, length ways, re-glued it, width ways and re-glued it thus having made absolutely sure the glue covered every square millimetre of the joint faces. I then sanded both sides flat in the drum sander, along the grain, 150 grit. To get this You can see the joint lines, just...
I’ve been experimenting with spirit based wood dyes, as in the project ‘Any Colour You Like’. Mainly though I’ve been working with black. The long term aim is to see if I can substitute black dyed woods, such as Sycamore, for Ebony in my projects. Ebony is really expensive. I think this is mainly because of it’s overuse and therefore currently restricted supply. I use spirit based dye as this doesn’t raise wood grain in the same way water based dyes do. Thi...
The board came out of glue-up OK...First thing to do, trim the excess off the bottom edge...Now the vertical rounded pillars. They were going to be Ebony but such was the dye success with the black that I decided to opt for dyed Sycamore. This is English Sycamore, which is a creamy white, not it’s American cousin...I cut the above wide enough to do both sides of a box corner and rounded both edges. Then dyed them up...The sun came out. For a moment I thought I wasn’t in England an...
I like Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon. This is amongst my favourites to play in the shop and out. The cover, for those of you who don’t know. is this...This has inspired me to get my design head on. So here’s a picture of the box I’ve been designing, over the last week or so...Designed using TurboCAD (no, NOT Sketchup), Size, approx’ 120mm corner to corner and 70mm high. A tall order. Is there any other kind. Its mostly black. I know of a black wood or two...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1413 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 90 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1437 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 230 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 196 entries
- shipwright - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 174 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries