I was eager to put my tools in the chest before sanding and finishing. I decided to use shop scraps to create holders to store my tools. I had already made crude holders for my saws, chisels, screwdrivers, rasps/files and marking tools. So I inserted these into the chest. Once in place I began to find symmetry in laying out the remaining tools. Again I used scraps to make temporary holders to organize the tools. One by one, I added a tool or group of tools and imagined how I could maxi...
I built the case from the least expensive wood I could find locally, knotty white pine. I picked through the piles to find the clearest and/or most appealing boards. I bought three dressed 16ft x 12” x .75” boards and one rough sawn 12ft x 10” x 2” clear Yellow Pine board. I cut the bottom and sides first then dovetailed them together. Next the 1/4” deep dados were cut for the main and lower shelves using a handheld router fitted with an up-cut spiral bit and ...
For three years I’ve been storing my woodworking tools in cardboard boxes. As I started relatively small, the box held most of my marking, layout and measuring tools. The planes were stored in the boxes they cam in. I knew I needed to build a toolbox eventually, but couldn’t decide which style. I liked FWW's Essential Tool Chest by Michael Pekovich because of its beauty, but I knew it would be too small for my needs. Next I looked at Christopher Schwarz Tool Chest. It was certa...
Here’s a little hand tool build where I make a tool holder for my new 6” double square, attached to the front of my Dutch Tool Chest.
A quickie post I didn’t mention making the red Oak pieces to latch behind the lower lip of the cabinet before. These are just big enough to fit below the lower shelf . The article in the magazine mentions making these the full length to subdue expansion, but I have breadboard ends for that. I measured and marked where the batten guides need to go, with a brain fart or two. You will probably notice a few holes in a picture or two where I mounted them where they didnt need to be. ...
The two previous images are from 4 weeks ago before i left for work. The back was done up with pine i had on hand. Unfortuently as i was installing the last couple boards i noticed they had developed some twist and that i had a knot too close to an edge. I decided while at work i would replace with my remaining poplar that i was saving for another project.After returning home and replacing the upper 3 planks. Then i proceeded to glue up panels for my top and the fall front.The finished glu...
After i finished the previous steps i decided, despite what Schwarz says about it, to put some finish on the inside. No pictures, figured no need. I masked off all the edges i didnt want anything on, then applied roughly 2-3 coats. Really all i did was use up the last of my Zinnzer clear waxed shellac, will apply some wax in the future. But onto what this part of the blog is about. I bought, off ebay a year or 2 ago, a decent Stanley #45 with a basic set of cutters and most of the parts...
Broke out the eggbeater drill, brace with countersink bit, and a screw driver. Marked out my holes with combo square and awl. Drove in some #10 1 1/4 slotted screws by hand, ended up with a blister. . 4 per side per shelf, overkill i believe, planned on only 3 but apparently my subconscious kicked in and made me do 4. they are all clocked inline with the grain for you ocd individuals (wish i had some Citric acid to remove the zinc plating) I shoulda went with my first idea and coun...
measuring/marking out the dados for the shelvesmarked out the bottom shelf 8.5” above the dovetail baseline with a knifeused the shelf to mark the other side of dado in the same manner after cutting a “knifewall” Used my Millers Falls router plane set at 3/8” depth to cut the baseline of dado didnt get any pictures of cutting out the dados but same process as described in Paul Sellers video here, and in Chris Albees dutch chest videos here using the router pl...
It started with me cutting my sides, bottom, and shelves/dividers to rough length with my xcut D8 on sawbench, then cleaning/squaring up the ends with my Stanley #4 1/2 and the sides with my #5 1/2 and #8. I then ganged sides up in my moxon and go in house and refresh my memory on layout with Megan Fitzpatricks youtube video . I then proceed to mark out my tails and to cut them. I ran into some trouble, what little practice i had with cutting some dovetails was with completely seaso...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries