I modified my Harbor Freight dust collector. I run it through a dust separator first which works like a charm, and then the fines end up in the black can. I was tired of struggling with the bags so I added the black plastic can, i went overboard on the lever latches.
For those who already have one of these, you’ll understand my enthusiasm. For those who don’t, get busy building one. I don’t have a dust collection system, just a 16 gallon shop vac. I’ve been looking at these for months now. I finally got a barrel from work and started building. After cutting the first baffle too small, I got the second one right. I wasn’t expecting it to work as good as it does, but, boy am I happy with the results. When I first turned it o...
In part two of my workshop build I install my dust extraction, build my own dust separator and install french cleats to offer some adaptable storage solutions. Visit:http://www.JordsWoodShop.comhttp://www.facebook.com/JordsWoodShop
I spent the better of two days reading regarding all the pro’s and con’s of all the different types of dust separators. From lids to metal cans to plastic barrels, I’ve looked at them all. My shop is becoming more mobile everyday. That required some decisions on my part. I have been allowed a space of 9’ X 18’ to store my tools. This allows for one car to be brought in at night. During the day I can spread out. My biggest problem has always been the sawdust. I ha...
Finally got my version of thien separator working after several rounds of trial and error. Thought I could share my findings. It’s made of a 5 gal big-box bucket, plywood, and plastic plumbing fittings. A 32 gal plastic trash can was used for collecting dust. Silicone adhesive and insulating self-adhesive tape were used to make the separator and dust bin combo as air-leak-free as possible. This is inside the separator looking at the intake pipe (black) and the pipe (whit...
In our shop (like many) one of the most frequently used tools is the miter saw. Coincidentally, it’s also the machine that seems to make the most dust. In order to keep the dust at a minimum, it was time to upgrade our miter saw station. The plan is to purchase a second saw, and have the 2 saws share a long, connected fence. So, I started with building base cabinets to hold the saws: As I previously mentioned, dust was always a big issue in our shop. To help aid in that, I purchas...
Ok, dbhost and Purplelev, The verdict is in. It works like a champ. Although the 4” hose seems to have dropped some suction power, when down sized to the 2 1/2” hose even through the bast gates it does a great job. I have a little more tweaking, but I am going to build the stand for the DC, so I can put the Gcan under it. I only have to pipe one side of the shop. 20 ft of 4” hose, 1-Y, 2-blast gates, 2- 4 to 21/2 adapters, 20ft of 2 1/2” hose, and maybe a coupler. M...
So, after a bit of a delay, I’ll now start with a recap of what I’m building, and what I’ve done so far. The PlanFirst, the plan I’m working off of is for the ‘Woodsmith Workbench’, found in issue 173 of Woodsmith Magazine, and also at plansnow.com. There’s a few pics at that website, but I’m not sure if I’m allowed to embed them here or not. I’m basically following that plan with a few modifications:1) instead of the maple top (m...
I got a little distracted this evening – from working on my Bathroom Vanity project. After seeing the many posts and watching some of the videos that demonstrate the use and advantages of having a dust separator I decided to make one for myself. I already had the shopvac and the bucket – 5 gallon for now – so I stopped by the local tool store the other day and picked up some dust collector parts and swung by the plumbing supply store as well. This evening I thought it w...
I posted two projects related to the dust collection system designed into this mobile workbench. Click the links for the compact Thien dust separator and the rotary blast gates. The dust separator seemed extremely effective with almost no carryover to the vacuum. I was anxious test and document how effective, so I followed the example of some LJers and set up a test. I measured the contents of the dust separator bin and dumped it on the floor. I also swept up the shop floor which included ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1815 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1840 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 222 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- bandit571 - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries