After the first 20 days my workshop looks like a war zone. Some progress has been made but is a slow process and not all things/tools are here yet. First thing we did was to build a 2X3m WC at the south/west corner of the shop, that was a must since we are a bit far from home. Also the tiles for the kitchen have been installed. Next it was the electrical 240V wiring, and since the electricians asked for a huge amount to do the job, I had to do it my self and it cost me 1/...
Hi Lumberjocks, I need some help diagnosing an issue I’m having with my dust collector. Recently my dust collector started tripping the circuit breaker and running with a lot of vibration. Initially I thought it was the impeller that was out of balance, but now I’ve at least narrowed it down to the motor (after wasting $80 on a new impeller). This first video shows the motor running completely assembled…and then the noises that follow as it shuts down… ......
OK…. So, after fashioning the cone, I had to break out the epoxy and glue everything together Here I’ve got the epoxy and parts laid out…. Organization will set you free! (Eventually I’ll learn some) Then to mix the epoxy! I know it looks like snot, but it IS epoxy! I bought 60 min epoxy because this is the first time i’ve built one of these… I wanted plenty of time to screw this up! After everything was glued up, I used RTV to seal the whole un...
I’ve recently been in the market for a new dust collector. I really care about filtration, but do I really need a shop fox or grizzly portable cyclone, or should I go for a cheaper single stage model. I am just a hobbyist with a small shop in a two car garage. Any recommendations?
My old shop was small and I used 4” PVC. PVC is ok but it has its disadvantages. My concerns for using it in this project were its weight, and the static electricity that builds up in it especially around my sanders. On the other hand the furnace pipe has its disadvantages as well. I found that after installing it, the larger 6” pipe flexes a little when some of the blast gates are closed. The amount of vacuum that this machine creates is massive but I don’t believe it will ...
Part of the big picture when I built my wood shop was dust collection. I had a small setup in my old shop at home using an older model jet with the 2 bags. Over the years I breathed in a lot of fine saw dust that was making its way through the bags. I originally was going to use the same one in this shop except with a few added modifications but changed my mind after a lot of research into this project. I decided to go with a cyclone type dust collector and some secondary collectors at...
As a qualifying opening statement, please read this post as my views, observations, and beliefs. They do not necessarily reflect “industry standards” or your experiences with dust collection, Clear Vue dust collectors, or any science related to dust collection. That being said, here are some observations of my installation of the Clear Vue 1800 DC. 1. If the instruction suggests, or others tell you something regarding the size, placement, type of, or anything else regarding the installa...
Please, no applause. Really. Ok, just a little. On December 31, 2011, at 8:45 PM, I fired up my Clear Vue dust collector. Granted, it worked. But the rather loud noise caused me to shut it down within seconds. After several successive attempts, it became very apparent the fan was flexing enough to hit the suspension nuts. But hey, it actually worked. So what did I do today – I fixed the problem. But wait, here are a few pictures of what brought me to this point. When I la...
Hi, just for the plaisir to share, here is my cyclone dust collector I have built this summer for my new small shop. The cyclone was made from a 5×8 24 gauge galvanised sheet metal. Filters and the carton fiber recipient are from PSI. The dust collection system is drived by a 2 HP motor and a factory 12 inches impeller (blower from the old 1 stage dust collector). I used Bill Pentz’s site for measurement. I’m not used to speak in english, but I hope these pictures will i...
These shavings kept clogging the intake to the dust collector. After clearing the intake and shaking out the hose about twenty times, I needed something better, right away. This worked. I taped up the edges of the box, cut two holes, cut off a length of hose, and was able to run the planer until the box filled. Then I emptied the box, taped it up again, and ran the planer until I was finished.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1806 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 126 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 111 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1831 entries
- dbhost - 438 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 318 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 245 entries
- Dave Rutan - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- bandit571 - 201 entries