It was one year ago that I converted my single stage dust collector into a two stage system. In this video I share the final tweaks and changes to my dust collection system. Find out some of the things I did that worked, and did not work, as I modified my dust collector. I hope that by sharing my experience, others will find it helpful as they make decisions for their own dust collection system. Your friend in the shop, Todd A. Clippinger Share the Love-Share the Knowledge ...
I know that many people have modified the HF-DC but I just wanted to put my spin out there. I have been doing a lot of research on the many different styles of updates/modifications that have been done and holy cow there are a lot. But, most of them rely on the Thien principle that seems to be pretty simple. On the Thien blog there is a guy that tests and records many different modifications with different setups. I am going to set-out to make my entire system buying the least amount as p...
I wanted a dust collector for my garage workshop. A single-stage collector just wouldn’t do it: I had to have a dual-stage with a large bucket for chips. I have a two-car garage and two cars to park in it, so all of my equipment must be mobile and have a small enough footprint to fit around the perimeter at the end of the day. I didn’t have the budget for a true cyclone, so I decided to modify a regular single-stage dust collector. I wanted the chip bucket to have a large capac...
I am just posting my journey for my upgrades to the Harbor Freight Dust collector I got. I have been using it stock except for the wynn filter cartridge and have been happy with it so far, however I have been getting some leaks and will smell the wood dust coming from the collector after cutting items. So I figured if I am going to seal the leaks, I better just build a whole new cart and add a Thien Separator. The first post here is detailing the Thien Separator. I went over to his we...
Well, just about a week or two after I finally got around to shooting a shop tour video, I decided to finally purchase a drum sander which forced me to rearrange the shop. Of course, since I knew that changes were coming, I also decided it was as good a time as any to really take a look at the shop and fix the nagging problems that I encounter here and there. So, here’s a short list of things that will be upgraded: 1. Dust Collection 2. Shop Layout 3. Lighting 4. Too...
Dust Collector Testing and Upgrade #1: Dust Collector Upgrade – Pt 1 – Upgrading to HEPA Cartridge Filter
I have wanted to do some upgrades for my dust collection system for some time now. But before I add the new HEPA cartridge filter from Wynn Environmental, I want to take some measurements. I test my system as it is now with a felt bag that is supposed to filter down to 1.5-2 microns and get a reading. I test with and without an Oneida Super Dust Deputy. Then I add the HEPA filter and take some more reading and compare the results. I know this is some pretty dry material; however the ...
My first blog. I’ve just recently gotten into woodworking and quickly realized that even small projects create a lot of dust. And since I have two little girls in the house and I have asthma, I decided that I couldn’t keep working without some sort of dust collection system. I don’t have much space, and I didn’t want to spend tons of money, so I decided on the Dust Deputy DIY. It’s pretty basic: Shop-Vac, large plastic bucket (I was going to use a 5-gallon ...
This past year I have occupied my shop time in efforts to organize the shop and spent the time to build several shop tools and accessories. Having a garage shop that is primarily used for parking cars; it has been a constant challenge to optimize the space as a part time woodworking shop. This year I removed everything from the garage to thoroughly clean and re-organize the shop. I painted the walls and added 8 banks of overhead fluorescent lights to brighten up the space. Free up Spac...
I guess this would be more an electrical project than a woodworking project, but I thought I would post here as some might want to make something similar. I wanted a remote switch for my Harbor Freight dust collector. I looked at the ones in woodworking catalogs; however, I was concerned about their reliability, as may people have said they die after a year. Falling asleep one night, I came up with a way to easily make one. In short, I used a $10 wireless remote switch to run a contac...
I am currently working on a set of built in cabinets for two areas designated for them. I will do a big specifically on the project soon. Along the way I discovered that I did not have all the “necessary” tools for the job. The first realization occurred when I began cutting the base molding. My miter saw was just 7” and I needed a few more inches to cut the base molding. I could have used my table saw to cut it, but rather than going through the table of that, I looked on C...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1632 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1657 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 228 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- robscastle - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries