Well, since my first posting, I have remained fairly busy with both the shop – and other activities. On the shop front, I have reworked my layout plan (design), and have basically figured out where most of the goodies will go, at least initially. Having said that, I know have to do the thing that is tough for me, and many of us. I have to get rid of some things. Here we go. As you can see from my earlier post, there is a massive workbench (previous owners wife used it to make stained...
I am currently expecting my first child (a daughter), and decided that I could build a better crib than most that I saw in the baby stores. This has been a challenging project so far (but it will be built to last). In shaping the legs I put together a quick tip for how to manage dust collection. More details to come as the project progresses.
It was one year ago that I converted my single stage dust collector into a two stage system. In this video I share the final tweaks and changes to my dust collection system. Find out some of the things I did that worked, and did not work, as I modified my dust collector. I hope that by sharing my experience, others will find it helpful as they make decisions for their own dust collection system. Your friend in the shop, Todd A. Clippinger Share the Love-Share the Knowledge ...
Last summer I acquired a Sears Craftsman dust collector (113.299780) at auction for $50. It had been stored in a barn for quite some time (and it showed). Lots of rust, dust and other debris and possibly some animals living inside. But it did work, so the purchase was made. It sat in the garage for a year, until a couple weekends ago the work to clean it up began. The simplest way to attack the rust was to sand all the surfaces with 150 grit sandpaper. To get started, ...
After doing a complete rebuild of the system with the HEPA filter from Wynn Environmental, I run it through the same battery of tests I did in Part 1. This resulted in a 257% increase in cfm! The results are truly fantastic. If you have any questions on this build of the system, please leave a comment or PM me, as I truly welcome your questions and comments.. Thanks for watching!
This guy has been an ongoing battle for a while and I motivated again today to improve it. I had closed in the open contractor frame with a bunch of plywood screwed into place (not caulked or sealed), a slotted plate closed up the back, and I hooked up a shop vac to the port on the arbor assembly. I feel that this collected about 95% of the dust. My problem was that the remaining 5% was being shot out from the blade right into my face. A great article in Fine Woodworking by Richard Babbitt...
In an article published in Fine Woodworking by Thomas Schrunk provides a plan for silencing your shop vac. I drew up modifications of his plan for my Rigid 5hp shop vac and realized that I was creating a behemoth (>36h,30w,36d) when you add on a dust separator. For that size I might as well just save up and buy a legitimate two stage dust collector. I decided to forgo the baffle design for a simple box that will sit on top of my shop vac and ride on the shop vac’s casters. That way ...
I started this project a year or two ago when I read about the benefits of a two-stage system. I purchased a Woodstock lid type separator for a five gallon bucket and when I filled it up too fast I cut a hole in the bottom of the five gallon bucket and put it on top of a Rubbermaid bin. Big mistake. However I was using the shop vac all over the house, most of the time by itself so I never really tested the efficiency of the system until the other day. While it was collecting most of the bi...
Five years later, Workshop Remodel. Going from pretty to functional #12: Miter saw dust collection update
After using the dust collection on my miter saw I feel I’ve finally found a method that will work to collect almost all the dust. The video below is of a working miter saw station. It’s portable and although not finished completely, everything on it us up and working. It also tells of a few other ideas of mine that are or are not needed in a miter saw station. Your mileage may vary. Backstory: I’ve had two stationary miter saw stations and one mobile. This is the second m...
Five years later, Workshop Remodel. Going from pretty to functional #11: Connecting, hanging, and shrinkng dust collection pvc
My method for making pipe hangers, connecting dust collection pipe for air tightness without tape, and shrinking pvc to hug blast gate flanges for small shop owners This is only my method of doing this. There are many good ways and your mileage may vary. I just thought I’d share it in case someone can used it. Thanks for watching. If the video doesn’t show below then you can see it here
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1659 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1684 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 225 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 200 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries