Today was a light day for me as I’m running out of things I can do until I get more wood, so today I cut out the side profile of the chop. I had this piece of thin ply laying around so I ripped it down to size and put my alignment marks on it, then drew the shoulder using a french curve template. Using the centerline I was able to do both sides. I clamped it on edge and sanded the template profile smooth then traced both sides on the chop. I cut a bunch ...
Yesterday I picked up a 1 – 1/4” forester bit and a 3/8” x 10” long brad point bit at Woodcraft. The forstner bit is for drilling the hole through the chop and leg for the leg vise. The bit is too short to make it all of the way through the leg so I also need to get a forstner bit extension. The 3/8” bit is for the pins that hang the Criss-Cross on the chop and leg. The chop is 9” wide so this was barely able to make it through. I didn’t want to hassl...
Small workbench based on shipbuilt's Short Block V8 (Workbench Challange) #3: Leg stretchers, assembly bolts and bottom shelf.
This part was very straight forward, The stretchers were assembled from 3 strips of 3/4” BB glued together with Biscuits to help keep everything aligned. The center strip is 1/2” longer to make a tendon. Next I made a router template to make the mortises in the legs. At that point it was just a matter of laying them out and cutting them. While I had the legs out I needed to make clearance slots for the 2 dog holes on each side of the left side leg. ...
Yesterday the last thing I did was cut up that big walnut board and laminate two pieces for the leg vise. Took it out of the clamps this morning and I think I’ll wait for this Sunday before going forward with it. After I was done yesterday, I was in the house and heard this big crash. I never did find out what it was until this morning I saw the walnut glue up had fallen off my table saw and bent one of my hand screw clamps. Oops. In the meantime, I worked on the d...
Yesterday I took the end cap and cut out two mortises first using a spade bit and then chiseling it square. I had to trim the tenons down a bit to fit in, and when I was squaring the small mortise, part of the end grain wall broke away leaving me with a big gap. I really didn’t want to make another end cap and do all of this work again, so I think I’m going to go with it for now. If I decide later I can’t live with it, I can just take it off and make another o...
I forgot to update last week. I didn’t get much done because I was busy fixing a mistake. In episode 6 I showed a picture of the end tenon and the lead screw channel cut out. The weird thing is that the huge mortise cut into the end of the tenon. The mortise was too wide and I didn’t notice until last week I was thinking about it when I was in bed. That’s when I do my best thinking. I got up in the morning and checked the drawing and I was right. The drawing says the mortise...
Final finishing up of the woodworking part of this project! I attach the hutch to the subframe, and then that assembly to the top. I also make the interior back and the back of the hutch. As always, I welcome your questions and comments! http://youtu.be/0wOl6AJZw9w
The idea came from a neighbor. He had an old “bird feeder” very rot and yet functional. I offered him this bird box rebuild. I then built many of them:-)First of beech. Ha! Evil mistake! Well, at that point I knew even less about wood properties, but that beech is so bends I never expected.So I built one from the remnants of a corner seat in oak, 19 mm, finger-jointed. As always, not screwed, not nailed … .just dowelled. The Domino system by Festool is just great.A carpenter swears by Lamello...
This year the project for our park model was a new deck. This grouping of photos show how I built it- but not the conventional way. I designed it to have drawers below for storage and wanted the railing on the outside of the deck the carpet could be easily changed in the future. Here is what we started with: I used my laser mount (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/109042) to set the level line to start: And then I built small rectangles with 2×4”s and connected top and bott...
I just made a few investments including a Dewalt drill some hardwood boards, and some other tools including a Stanley hand plane, I also got a planer/jointer to restore. Although if I used, these tools could set me up for life. Then I will be more than happy. http://youtu.be/HTpNuddA4pY?list=UU9nX40E1w6tOplx7kc6Bu-Q
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1598 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1623 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 218 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries