Candy, this blog’s for you!!!!!!!!!!!This is the process I use to turn a scoop from a wood blank on the lathe.I start by defining the volume needed in the the scoop. The formula is Pi x R squared x depth I planned on a 1/2 cup scoop and the volume of 4 oz is 7.218 cubic inches and I want the inside to be 2 5/8” So the formula is 3.1416 x ( 1.312) squared x depth = 7.218. The depth figures out to be 1.33” I start by drawing it out and then adding scrap wood in the area...
My latest tools are these tiny trim planes. Again thanks Mads Felding for the inspiration.They are made from Jarrah and a really lovely figured piece of Banksia; all wood came from the scrap bin. I made two to use up all the timber.The blade is cut from an old 2nd hand Stanley plane using a Dremel. I still have to make another blade, insert the brass pin and design a wedge.I will post pics of the finished articles as soon as I have them finished.
MURPHY’S DRILL PRESS TABLE EXTENSION JIG After I finished working on the drill press table and posting it on LJ’s I drilled out 30+ holes accurately for my next project. I am building a chainsaw mill bench/stand. I was pleased that I accurately drilled the holes for the carriage bolts in the supports and cross members. My next task was to pre-drill screw holes in the support bracing that will hold the cross members and supports. I stood there thinking “how am I go...
Watch the update on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/LGO4ItpWZAM This week I talk about the progress I have made in the Gamble House Rocking Chair: • Cut mortises in the crestrail and cut it to length• Took the first steps in shaping the crest rail by pattern routing• Carved the indents in the rails and stretchers• Made the bending form for the back slats Announce that every 4th Wednesday of the month I will be doing a Live Weekly Shop Update on my YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/...
MURPHY’S DRILL PRESS TABLE Built mostly by Murphy, LOL! GRRRRR! On June 4, 2013, I posted “Getting My Tools Are Ready #12 blog, which is where I showed the finished assembly of some of my shop tools, one of which was my floor model 17 inch drill press. The drill press table was designed for working with metal versus wood. At that time, I purchased some hold downs and T tracks to eventually build a joint press table for working with wood.My current focus is milling ...
Warning: pic heavy Just posting a bunch of progress. Leg vise continued. Cutting the bridal joint. Lignum vitae pin for the guide. This stuff strong. Trying to incorporate this as a pin holder but haven’t come across an idea that I can pull off with what I have on hand. So it’s on the back burner for now. Hammered a poplar dowel and drilled a center so I could bore it with a forstner. Didn’t work out so well. Stuck a roll pin...
Though I was traveling on business most of the month of May and only had a couple hours to spend in my shop, I had psyched myself up to participate in the 3rd Annual Summers Woodworking 2X4 contest and for the most part am happy that I did. I bet that I almost spent as much time sorting through 2X4’s at the several local Lowes and Home Depots and purchases a half dozen of them before locating my “White Whale”. It was an absolutely perfect specimen and will be the 2X4 ...
For my entry in the Summers Woodworking Third Annual Creative 2 X 4 Contest I chose to make a plant stand which has the form of a plant! Here’s the link to the “youtube video”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGo0_-mM1ZQ It’s the first video I’ve ever posted, in fact, the first to ever leave my recording device. Thanks for looking in and have a wonderful day all you Lumber Jocks.
Made from $12.00 worth of bronze bushings and a shaft collar. The shaft collar has a set screw that holds a 1/8” drill bit in place, so you would need to use 1/8” axles for your hinge pieces. The largest bushing has an inside diameter of 1/2”. The second bushing an outside diameter of 1/2” and an inside diameter of 3/8”. The shaft collar has an outside diameter of 3/8”, takes a 1/8” drill bit, and uses an allen set screw that takes a 1/16R...
I milled the leg and spacers/support block out of the same chunk of oak. The screw and nut are the remnants of what I bought for my end vise. A cove cut on the table saw and an 3/8” round over gave me the basic profile. I smoothed it out of with a whatever rasp and file I had on hand. Then marked and mortised for the nut. I’ll probably put a dab of epoxy on final assembly of the nut to make sure to hold it captive. It’s damn good fit if I say so myself. ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1583 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1608 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries