I had it in mind for some time now to rig up something on which I could do some small wood turning. The photos above and below show the result of that. I have some bugs to work out yet with this set up. The drive end wobbles a bit under pressure while cutting. I’m thinking I could add some support to the shaft of the drive spur to help stabilize it. I also think I need a sharpening day. I just used my straight mortising chisels. They work after a fashion, but I think they...
As I write this, I’m staring at three sets of drill/driver combination kits and my eyes hurt from scouring the web searching for reviews, pros and cons for each set. I’m torn between fleeting brand loyalty, the thought of what “might be” for me in the hobby, and the stark realization of who I am, what I do and how infrequently I do it. So, bring a writer by trade and unable to adequately convey to the CEO just how important this decision is and how difficult it will...
Above: A while ago I built this stand for my drill press. It’s got a deep drawer and two shelves behind double doors. It got really tiring having to open the doors, bend over, and reach in to grab either my electric (corded drill,) or my handy hand drill. So today I put a thought into action. I looked up drill holders and found this really basic design to keep things at hand. Above: A simple chunk of 2×4 with two holes drilled into it and a little cutting and I got thi...
At the moment I have a guitar with a reglued bridge on my work table and since the chair is on hold until I buy some wood, I decided to do something small. I’ve had a new set of seven brad point bits for over a year and they’ve lived on my drill press table, just scattered about. Today I decided to build a wooden case for them out of scrap wood. The photo is of he glue up. I’ll be adding a hinged wooden lid to add to the ‘looks-like-a-10-year-old-made-this’...
I recently acquired this drill but needed to repair it before I put it into service. Check out this quick blog post on the DeWALT DW100 Repair & Review!
THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS, PLEASE HELP ME FILL THIS OUT.Send me a message or a comment to add stuff This is my small vocabulary of Japanese tools.This names are useful to know if you wish to use, buy or search for Japanese tools.Reader should remember that the names may change in different regions of Japan. Personally I think its good to know the names of tools in more than one language, Swedish is my native tongue so I know a lot of tools in three languages already. This vocabulary...
They’re done. All 256 of them. I rethought and then reconfigured the jig a bit so I could keep the same reference surface when drilling both ends of the “rungs”. It went very quickly: That was the very first one and it took a little under a minute. 32 of them took a little under a half hour. Next I had to drill the mating holes in the stiles. I rebuilt the jig from the same parts, marked up the pieces, and started drilling: With some trepidation, I dry fit tw...
I have a couple of styles of Stanley Bit Gauges that I thought may be of interest to folks using auger bits. These are Stanley #47 and #49 Bit Gauges. Essentially they attach to your auger bit and indicate when to stop drilling. The #47 has a spring that flexes when it reaches the desired depth. The #49 has a couple of wings and will not let you drill any further. Keep your eyes open for these guys if you happen to be out rust hunting… Stanley #47 Bit Gauge ...
Well, this is my first official blog entry on LJ’s. I’ve meant to do some blogging of my restorations here, in part so I can post more pictures (without overly cluttering some of the restoration/”of your dreams” threads) and so I can go more in depth when I feel the need or desire. I recently posted a restoration I did of a Millers Falls No 85 breast drill over in the Show the restoration thread. According to OldToolHeaven the No 85 was made for 11 years from 1912 t...
Since Bryan didn’t want a crooked elder wand I went back to the drawing board for a straight one.I went to the dowel bucked and found a piece of old draw-blind dowel.I chucked that in the lathe to make the straight wand. Since it was a straight turning project I use a spindle roughing gouge, spindle gouge, and skew to do the rough forming. Then I sanded to 320 grit, and applied a colonial stain. I decided to do the dremel dimpling after the first stain because I wanted to d...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1507 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1531 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 252 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 165 entries