I recently completed this easy project and thought I would share the steps I took to make it. I’ve had a handful of railroad spikes for a while, and finally decided I should use them to make a coat rack. I started by removing the rust from the spikes. I soaked them in plain white vinegar overnight. After pulling them out and giving a light scrub with a wire brush, they looked like this. There were still bits of rust on them, so after another nights soak, I scrubbed again and r...
My efforts to get a nice slab cut from this beast was met with failure, but it was not without a good effort. I took every opportunity to sneak out in the garage this week and work on the big cut to rip this redwood root down; even if for only 5 minutes. Every little bit of effort adds up and makes the task seem less monotonous. I had made good progress and loosing our DSL connection on Thursday gave me an unexpected excuse to duck out of work and get some garage time in. By Friday afte...
My first “real” carving and first time ever posting the process of a piece of work, so please just have patience with me :) The fish began with a piece of driftwood I found in the creek behind my house. It already had a nice curve to it, was fairly solid and had a natural “mouth” which I immediately thought would make a pretty cool fish. (sorry I don’t have a pic of the driftwood before I began sanding it some, I just wanted to see what it look...
I’ve made good progress this week on the base for my coffee table. After splitting the larger chunk of wood down to size and doing some rough sanding, I decided to cobble together enough stuff for my router jig and set about getting ‘root’ side of this base leveled out. The router jig may not be the best tool for this procedure. I’ve seen guys work wonders with a steady hand and big chainsaw. But it does work well enough and it’s quieter than the chainsaw an...
I’ve decided to finish this in two stages. I still have to figure out the legs/support for the bench but felt there was value in getting a protective coat of finish on the piece. With the redwood being fairly soft, and this piece being so heavy I could already see imperfections being introduced just from moving this around during the sanding process. Also sand; sand everywhere. Given that this spent part of it’s life as driftwood, many of the nooks and crannies are filled wit...
I used to really enjoy sanding. Give me a nice big flat surface, some headphones perhaps a beer or two (or three; I’m Irish) and I could sand uninterrupted for hours. With this project, I have met my match. Those irregular surfaces are just brutal… as was the wood itself. Not only did I meet my match, but so did my sander. The velcro pad is pretty well toast (2nd one) I blew a hole through the dust collection bag and the bearings are starting to go as it sounds like a combi...
Well, I broke down and added a new power tool to the arsenal. I picked up a 4.5” angle grinder from the big orange home store. I’ve been wanting one for a couple of years and had hoped to turn one up at the local thrift shops, but no such luck. With an upcoming instillation of hardwood floors and the need to undercut our existing existing cobble stone hearth I figured it was about time to crack open the wallet. While in the spending mood, I also picked up a 60 grit flap disc...
This is a spin-off from my earlier Becoming a Galoot blog. I had high hopes that this project could be a hand tool only project. That proved to be a bit ambitious given my limited tooling and expertise at hand planing. That blog wrapped with the leveling out the top of the bench; removing about 1/2 inch of material over a 5 foot long by 15 inch wide surface (1.2 cm by 1.52m long by .38m wide). This was caused by my hand rip taking an unfortunate dive on the front corner. It may not ...
I have to start by thanking others for the advice given in my last post. I put a new edge on my planing blade, getting it hair shaving sharp, and adjusted the depth to take a very thin slice. While not smooth as butter it was a tremendous improvement over my initial attempts. However, I also admitted defeat in my attempts to make this a hand tool only project. There were a couple reasons for this. The last foot (.3 meter) of the surface took a pretty nasty dive; a bit over a half an ...
Things have progressed nicely over the past few days. After a good 30 minutes of study, I laid out some chalk lines to square up the live edges. Then went to work ripping with a combination of the old cross-cut and a small rip-saw on the sections that were thin enough for that to be effective. It’s about time put a fresh edge on the old crosscut. Things really started bogging down during these cuts. I was able to muscle through, and am pretty pleased with how the projec...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries